Improving managerial talent : practical psychology for human resourcing and learning & development professionals / Hugh McCredie
- McCredie, Hugh
- London : Routledge, 2017.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource : illustrations (black and white)
- Aimed at senior HRM and L&D specialists responsible for improving their organisation's managerial talent, Improving Managerial Talent covers the core findings of the author's and other published research. It provides a highly participative overview of personality and ability psychometrics, involving the opportunity for self-application. It reveals hard evidence of the extent to which such tests can add value to the prediction of managerial success and their link to requisite competencies. It shows how qualified testers, HR and line managers can each make a unique contribution to the selection process. The book goes on to show how management style is a product of personality and habit and how the acquisition and use of a complementary style can improve persuasiveness and the cultivation of interpersonal skill both for the manager and for those whom the manager might need to coach. It regards job-challenge as the primary engine of managerial growth, both for development in key result areas and for underlying personal competencies. The book provides the reader with some self-insights and an appreciation of validated, powerful, often in-house, methods for selecting and developing better managers. The methods on offer have been validated on a population of over 400 directors of small to medium-sized business units. They include a generic psychometric algorithm for the selection of managers, some unique findings on styles of managing, coaching and persuading based upon close observation of over 200 senior managers and a distinctive and powerful approach to developing interpersonal skills by (1) practice, (2) demonstration of alternatives and (3) reflection.
- 9781351363983 (ePub ebook)
9781351363990 (PDF ebook)
9781351363976 (Mobipocket ebook)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 37445223