From sabotage to support : a new vision for feminist solidarity in the workplace / Joy L. Wiggins and Kami J. Anderson
- Wiggins, Joy L.
- Oakland, CA : Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2019.
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (209 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Anderson, Kami, 1975-
- Cover; Half Title; Title; Copyright; Dedication; Contents; INTRODUCTION The Path to Liberation; Who We Are; What to Expect; Why This Book? Why Now?; Smash the Patriarchy!; A Day in the Liberated Life!; Moving Forward; CHAPTER 1 A Brief History of Feminist Movements; First-Wave Feminism from 1800 to 1920; The Second Wave: Civil and Reproductive Rights; The Third Wave: Power Feminism and the Beauty Myth; The Fourth Wave: Intersectionality; Action Steps; CHAPTER 2 The Pervasive Patriarchy; What Is Patriarchy?; The Effects of Socialization; Women in Leadership; 200 Percent, Socialization and Double Consciousness: The Other Side of the CoinAction Steps; CHAPTER 3 The Power of Privilege; Through the Lens of Race; Deconstruct What You Think You Know; Checking Our Privilege; Power as a Tool for Sabotage; Action Steps; CHAPTER 4 Moving Through and Within; Implicit and Explicit Bias; Microaggressions; White Fragility; The Myth of Intercultural Solidarity; Action Steps; CHAPTER 5 Self-Care and the Path to Empowerment; Defining Empowerment; Disempowerment: The Masks We Wear; What Does Empowerment Really Look Like?; Action Steps; CHAPTER 6 Support for Solidarity, A Look BackAuthenticity; Recruitment and Retention; Accountability Policies and Procedures; Professional Development; The Wage Gap; How Can You Be an Ally?; Action Steps; CHAPTER 7 Support for Transformation and Liberation; Liberation Has Always Been a Possibility; Allyship and Liberation; Affinity Groups for Support and Empowerment; Woman Power Up!; Repairing and Reconciling; Action Steps; CONCLUSION The Gift of Support; Moving from Sabotage to Support; Men and Liberation; Final Thoughts: Self; Final Thoughts: Others; Appendix A: Terms to Know; Appendix B: Women to Know; Notes, and AcknowledgmentsIndex; A; B; C; D; E; F; G; H; I; J; K; L; M; N; O; P; Q; R; S; T; U; V; W; X; Y; About the Authors
- This book examines how the dynamics of privilege and power have played out in the history of the feminist movement and identifies socialized behaviors and ideologies that trigger implicit bias and microaggressions. Tools are provided to interrupt negative thoughts and actions so women can nurture mutual support and show up as their authentic selves.
- 9781523098484 (electronic book)
1523098481 (electronic book)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 37449374