Climate Change, Disaster and Adaptations [electronic resource] : Contextualising Human Responses to Ecological Change / edited by Azizur Rahman Siddiqui, Avijit Sahay
- Cham : Springer International Publishing : Imprint: Springer, 2022.
- 1st ed. 2022.
- Physical Description:
- XI, 269 p. 133 illus., 114 illus. in color. online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Siddiqui, Azizur Rahman, Sahay, Avijit, and SpringerLink (Online service)
- Chapter 1. Resilience, Adaptation and Migration: Exploring the Range of Human Response to Climatic Change -- Chapter 2. Spatio-temporal variation of drought events over eastern Rajasthan (India): A geo-spatial approach -- Chapter 3. Evaluation of Hydro-geomorphic Response to Climate Change in North Sikkim District, Sikkim, India -- Chapter 4. Disasters, Climate Change and Migration Issues in Fiji and the Pacific: An Overview -- Chapter 5. Assessing the Microclimatic Environmental Indicators of Climate Change of a Temperate Valley in the Western Himalayan region -- Chapter 6. Is technology the nexus between climate change and disaster induced human displacement? -- Chapter 7. Climate Change Hazard Perception and Gender Empowerment for Resilience in the regions of Tropical Asia -- Chapter 8. Climate Change and the Rising Hazard Potential in Lahaul & Spiti: Himachal Pradesh -- Chapter 9. Climate Change and Disaster-induced Displacement in Global South: A Review -- Chapter 10. Climate Change, Disaster and Adaptations - Human Responses to ecological changes -- Chapter 11. Assessing Impact of Climate variability on potential agricultural land suitability in Nalanda District, Bihar -- Chapter 12. Adaptation of the Agri-based Society to Environmental Changes in Thar Desert -- Chapter 13. Human response towards COVID-19 pandemic in terms of adaptation, displacement and climate change in India -- Chapter 14. Human adaptation during Covid-19 Pandemic: the role of perceived stress and resilience -- Chapter 15. Evolutionary forces and Human migration: How sapiens conquered the world -- Chapter 16. Adjustment of the Coastal Communities in response to Climate variability and sea level rise in the Sundarban, West Bengal, India -- Chapter 17. ANALYSING THE VEHICLE INDUCED AIR POLLUTION AND ITS IMPACT IN THE AZADPUR MANDI, DELHI -- Chapter 18. Human Mobility Response to Natural Disasters and Environmental Change -- Chapter 19. Temperature and Rainfall Extremes over Southern India (1969-2014): Frequency Distribution and Trends.
- This volume examines how local communities respond and adapt to ecological changes and disasters resulting from climate change. The main aim of the book is to understand the range of human responses to ecological change and to contextualise the reasons for adopting any particular adaptive strategy by a community. Through the help of specific case studies presented as individual chapters, the book aims to find out whether adaptation due to environmental stress is an individual decision and, therefore, is an isolated phenomenon, or if resilience and adaptation are part of the same action paradigm of society as a whole in response to environmental change. Of particular interest are the case studies of climate change or disasters that have rendered the site unsuitable for the return of its community at present, and thus necessitated the relocation of such communities to new locations. The case studies in the book focus on regions in India, but cover different parts of the world as well, and address concepts of resilience, vulnerability, risk, adaptation, and mitigation. The book will be useful for students and researchers in the fields of geography, disaster management, environmental science, and anthropology.
- Digital File Characteristics:
- text file PDF
View MARC record | catkey: 37463343