The best transportation system in the world : railroads, trucks, airlines, and American public policy in the twentieth century / Mark H. Rose, Bruce E. Seely, Paul F. Barrett
- Rose, Mark H., 1942-
- Columbus : Ohio State University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxvi, 318 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Seely, Bruce Edsall, 1953-
Barrett, Paul F., 1943-2004
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Historical perspectives on business enterprise
- Preface and acknowledgments -- Seeking a new regulatory regime in transportation: railroad consolidation in the 1920s -- The new transportation problem: the politics of transportation coordination, 1925-1940 -- Constructing commercial aviation, 1944-1973 -- Run-up to deregulation: surface transportation, 1949-1970 -- Transportation in a "presidential nation" -- Richard M. Nixon and planning for deregulation, 1970-1974 -- Gerald R. Ford and presidential deregulation, 1974-1977 -- Jimmy Carter and deregulation of the "best transportation system in the world," 1977-1980 -- The American state and transportation, 1980-1995.
- 0814210368 (cloth : alk. paper)
9780814210369 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 241-300) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3750778