Water resources and hydrometeorology of the Arab region / by Mamdouh Shahin
- Shahin, Mamdouh
- Dordrecht, The Netherlands : Springer, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 586 pages : illustrations, maps (some color) ; 25 cm + 1 CD-ROM (4 3/4 in.)
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Water science and technology library ; v. 59
- HISTORICAL INTRODUCTION: Ancient civilisations -- Highlights on the old civilisations in the Arab region in relation to water resources planning, utilisation and management -- Highlights on the holy religions in relation to water and water resources -- From a shining past to a gloomy present -- PHYSIOGRAPHY AND GEOLOGY OF THE ARAB REGION: Brief description of the physical setting of the Arab region -- Brief description of the geological setting of the region -- Physical and geological settings of the countries members of the Arab region -- CLIMATE OF THE ARAB REGION: General climate of the Arab region -- Classification of climate -- Climate change in the southern and eastern Mediterranean -- ANALYSIS OF PRECIPITATION DATA: Annual rainfall -- Seasonal and monthly rainfall -- Long and short duration rainfalls -- EVAPORATION AND EVAPOTRANSPIRATION: Instrumental measurement -- Estimation of evaporation -- Estimation of evapotranspiration -- RUNOFF AND RIVER FLOW: Runoff -- Rivers -- Annual flow series -- WADIS AND WADI FLOW: Wadi basins and Wadi hydrology in Yemen -- Wadi basins and Wadi hydrology in Oman -- Wadi basins and Wadi hydrology in Saudi Arabia -- Wadi basins and Wadi hydrology in the United Arab Emirates -- A short account of Wadi flows in the eastern sub-region -- A short account of Wadi flows in the western subregion -- A short account of Wadi flows in the central sub-region -- EROSION AND SEDIMENTATION IN DRAINAGE BASINS AND IN STORAGE RESERVOIRS: Measurement/estimation of erosion -- Sediment yield of drainage basins -- Sediment discharge of flowing streams -- Reservoir siltation -- GROUNDWATER RESOURCES: Brief description of groundwater basins in the Arab region -- Brief account of groundwater salinity in the Arab region -- Groundwater resources by country -- NON-CONVENTIONAL (NEW) WATER RESOURCES: Principles underlying the search for new water resources -- New (non-conventional) sources of water in the Arab region -- Environmental and social impacts, and some remedial measures -- WATER STORAGE: Some hydrological aspects of reservoir storage -- Surface storage reservoirs in the Arab countries -- Recharge dams -- WATER SCARCITY IN THE ARAB REGION-MAJOR PROBLEMS AND ATTEMPTS TO ALLEVIATE THEIR IMPACTS: Water scarcity -- Measures of water poverty -- Adverse impacts of water scarcity and remedial measures -- Potential areas of conflict on water resources in the Arab Region.
- 9781402045776 (HB)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 549-566) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3796787