Creating competitive markets : the politics of regulatory reform / Marc K. Landy, Martin A. Levin, Martin Shapiro, editors
- Washington, D.C. : Brookings Institution Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xii, 368 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Landy, Marc Karnis, Levin, Martin A., and Shapiro, Martin M.
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Creating competitive markets : the politics of market design / Marc K. Landy and Martin A. Levin -- Why freer markets need more rules / Steven Vogel -- Regulation in banking : a mechanism for forcing market solutions / Jonathan R. Macey -- Revenge of the law? Securities litigation reform and Sarbanes-Oxley's structural regulation of corporate governance / John W. Cioffi -- The politics of risk privatization in U.S. social policy / Jacob S. Hacker -- The success and limits of deregulation in network industries : freight railroad and electricity / Darius Gaskins -- Regulatory reform of the U.S. wholesale electricity markets / Richard O'Neill and Udi Helman -- The perils of market making : the case of British pension reform / Alan M. Jacobs and Steven Teles -- A market for knowledge? Competition in American education / Frederick M. Hess -- Regulation, the market, and interest group cohesion : why airlines were not reregulated / Michael E. Levine -- Reaching competititon despite reform : when technology trumps (de)regulation and the new "old" politics in tellecommunication reform / Andrew Rich -- The day after market-oriented reform, or what happens when economists' reform ideas meet politics / Eric M. Patashnik -- The political economy of deregulation in Canada / Edward Iacobucci, Michael Trebilcock, and Ralph A. Winter -- Dishonest corporatism : who guards the guardians in an age of soft law and negotiated regulation? Martin Shapiro -- Why deregulation succeeds or fails / Eugene Bardach -- Concluding thoughts : how the whole is greater than the sum of its parts / Peter H. Schuck.
- "Contributors from academia, government, and the private sector evaluate more than a dozen efforts at market design. Analyzing a broad range of sectors, including airlines, electricity, education, and pensions, authors ask critical questions about developments in Canada, the United Kingdom, and Japan, as well as the United States"--Provided by publisher.
- 9780815751168 (cloth : alk. paper), 0815751168 (cloth : alk. paper), 9780815751151 (pbk. : alk. paper), and 081575115X (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3796829