Study of heat engine/flywheel : hybrid propulsion configuration with electrical transmission system. Phase I. Final report
- United States : [publisher not identified], 1978.
[Oak Ridge, Tennessee] : [U.S. Atomic Energy Commission], 1978.
- Physical Description:
- microfiche : negative ; 11 x 15 cm
- A study was performed to conceive and evaluate a flywheel/electrical transmission system for a hybrid-heat engine automobile. Each of the mechanical and electronic options were evaluated in a five passenger family sedan and were ranked according to cost, weight, and fuel economy. The primary use of this transmission system is to augment the heat engine with energy from the flywheel in such a manner as to level engine loads and improve the overall vehicle efficiency. The benefits of using this system are as follows: (1) provides fuel economy, which is unobtainable with conventional propulsion arrangements; (2) acceleration and passing performance same as provided by large V-8 engine; (3) meets 1985 Federal emission standards; (4) reduces direct operating cost for the consumer; and (5) reduces heat engine size. The hybrid's fuel consumption if 39.5 mpg, compared to 15 mpg projected for a conventional vehicle. This represents a 263% improvement in fuel economy. The hybrid also provides a 40% savings in direct operating cost.
- Report Numbers:
- Other Subject(s):
- 25 ENERGY STORAGE
- 250500 - Energy Storage- Flywheels
- 33 ADVANCED PROPULSION SYSTEMS
- 330400* - Advanced Propulsion Systems- Hybrid Systems
- 330500 - Advanced Propulsion Systems- Flywheel Propulsion
- 330602 - Vehicle Design Factors- Engine-Transmission Matching
- COMPARATIVE EVALUATIONS
- ELECTRIC MOTORS
- ENERGY STORAGE
- FEASIBILITY STUDIES
- FLYWHEEL ENERGY STORAGE
- FUEL ECONOMY
- HEAT ENGINES
- HYBRID SYSTEMS
- MACHINE PARTS
- MECHANICAL TRANSMISSIONS
- U.S. Atomic Energy Commission depository collection.
- DOE contract number: EY-76-C-04-0789
OSTI Identifier 5072579
Research organization: AiResearch Mfg. Co., Torrance, Calif. (USA).
View MARC record | catkey: 38041101