Myth and geology / edited by L. Piccardi and W.B. Masse
- London : Geological Society, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 350 pages : illustrations (some color), maps ; 26 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Piccardi, L. (Luigi), Masse, W. Bruce, and International Geological Congress (32nd : 2004 : Florence, Italy)
- Geological Society special publication ; no. 273
- Geomythology: Geological origins of myths and legends / D. B. Vitaliano -- Exploring the nature of myth and its role in science / W. B. Masse et. al. -- Geo-mythology of India / D. Chandrasekharam -- Genesis Chapter 1 and geological time from Hugo Grotius and Marin Mersenne to William Conybeare and Thomas Chalmers (1620-1825) / M. B. Roberts -- Environment and natural hazards in Roman and medieval texts: Presentation of the CLEMENS database project / E. Vittori et. al. -- From myth to Earth education and science communication / T. Lanza and A. Negrete -- Folklore and earthquakes: Native American oral traditions from Cascadia compared with written traditions from Japan / R. S. Ludwin and G. J. Smits -- The AD 60 Denizli Basin earthquake and the apparition of Archangel Michael at Colossae (Aegean Turkey) / L. Piccardi -- Writing on the walls: Geological context and early American spiritual beliefs / S. E. Hough -- The Fenris Wolf in the Nordic Asa creed in the light of palaeoseismics / N. A. Morner -- Band-e-Amir Lakes and Dragon Valley (Bamiyan): Myths and seismicity in Afghanistan / F. G. Bourrouilh-Le Jan et. al. -- The Bible and geology: Destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah / V. G. Trifonov -- Geological histories and geohazard potential of Pacific Islands illuminated by myths / P. D. Nunn and R. Pastorizo -- Exploding lakes in myth and reality: An African case study / E. Shanklin -- Myth and catastrophic reality: Using myth to identify cosmic impacts and massive Plinian eruptions in Holocene South America / W. B. Masse and M.J. Masse -- Cosmogenic mega-tsunami in the Australia region: Are they supported by Aboriginal and Maori legends? / E. Bryant et. al. -- Meteorite records in the ancient Greek and Latin literature: Between history and myth / M. D'Orazio -- Sooty sweat stains or tourmaline spots? The Argonauts on the island of Elba (Tuscany) and the spread of Greek trading in the Mediterranean Sea / A. Dini et. al. -- Place names describing fossils in oral traditions / A. Mayor -- Giants and elephants of Sicily / V.Agnesi et. al. -- On the discovery of the Ice Age: Science and myth / W. H. Berger -- Sheperds' crowns, fairy loaves and thunderstones: The mythology of fossil Echinoids in England / K. J. McNamara -- Obsidian: Sacred glass from the California sky / S. Fox Hodgson -- Erratic blocks: From protector being to geosites to be protected / L. Motta and M. Motta -- The contribution of the 'Sibilla Appenninica' legend to karst knowledge in the Sibillini Mountains (Central Apennines, Italy) / D. Aringoli et. al.
- 9781862392168 and 1862392161
- "Myth and geology" session held at the 32nd International Geological Congress in Florence, Italy, in August 2004.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3827213