The white allies handbook : 4 weeks to join the racial justice fight for black women / Lecia Michelle
- Michelle, Lecia
- New York, NY : Dafina, 2022.
- First Kensington hardcover edition.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 248 pages ; 22 cm
- Introduction -- Part I: Listening and learning. Starting your ally journey: recognizing and unlearning your racism -- Uplift our voices: following the leadership of Black women -- Obstacles mean lessons: finding growth in your discomfort -- Part II: The cost of whiteness. Get out of your head: listening without defensiveness and white tears -- Evening the odds: recognizing how you benefit from white privilege -- How white women betray us: upholding your adjacency to white men supports white supremacy -- Part III: From complicity to action. Words aren't enough: transitioning to real anti-racist work -- Family and Friends: influencing and educating your inner circle -- Don't ignore race: navigating friendships with Black women -- Part IV: Becoming a true ally. No ally theater: avoiding the pitfalls of perfectionism and performative behavior -- Strategically silent: amplifying Black female voices and passing the mic -- Conclusion: Long-term commitment -- A reading group guide: the white allies handbook.
- This clear, actionable guide provides a four-week program for becoming an ally who makes a real difference in the racial justice fight, offering the tools needed to get off to the frontlines of allyship, combat racism while supporting Black women, and become anti-racist instead of passively "not racist."
- 9781496738370 (hardcover)
- Includes discussion questions (pages 247-248).
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 243-244).
View MARC record | catkey: 38337590