Profits and power : navigating the politics and geopolitics of oil / David A. Detomasi
- Detomasi, David
- Toronto ; Buffalo ; London : University of Toronto Press, 
- Physical Description:
- ix, 322 pages : illustrations (black and white) ; 24 cm.
- Introduction -- A Primer on the Oil Industry -- The Legacy of Oil: 1858-2000 -- The Oil Market, 2000-2014: Rising Prices and the Perils of Profit -- The Politics, Geopolitics, and Global Governance of Oil: 2000-2014 -- The Politics and Markets of a Price Fall: 2014-2019 -- 2020 and Beyond: Oil in the Post-Pandemic World.
- "Oil fuels the global economy and remains a staple of our energy system. Yet, its production and use continue to draw negative criticism, and an increasing number of people want to reduce or eliminate its use altogether. Power and Profit sheds light on how the oil system works, its key players, and the political and geopolitical issues related to its use. Starting with oil's beginning in the second half of the nineteenth century, the book traces the fascinating history of how oil production and its sale became the world's most profitable business. Tracing distinct eras in oil's recent and not-so-recent past, this book shows how periods defined by shifts in price often dictated who controlled production, and who enjoyed the often enormous riches oil production generated. David A. Detomasi weaves together politics, geopolitics, and economics to provide a complete picture of how the system really works, and what direction it will take. As the world becomes increasingly aware of the dangers and challenges oil dependency creates, knowledge of this crucial commodity has never been more relevant and critical for humanity's future. Power and Profit will resonate with anyone interested in, or charged with responding to, our evolving energy future."--
- Petroleum industry and trade—Political aspects
- Petroleum industry and trade—Economic aspects
- World politics—21st century
- Pétrole—Industrie et commerce—Histoire
- Pétrole—Industrie et commerce—Aspect politique
- Pétrole—Industrie et commerce—Aspect économique
- Politique mondiale—21e siècle
- Petroleum industry and trade
- World politics
- Petroleum industry and trade—History
- 9781487500160 (cloth)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 38680474