Divided worlds : studies in children's literature / Mary Shine Thompson and Valerie Coghlan, editors
- Dublin : Four Courts Press, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- 223 pages ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Thompson, Mary Shine, Coghlan, Valerie, and Irish Society for the Study of Children's Literature. Conference (3rd : 2005 : St. Patrick's College, Drumcondra, Dublin)
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Studies in children's literature ; 3
- Preface & Introduction / Mary Shine Thompson -- A divided union : reformation and reconciliation in Maria Edgeworth's Orlandino / Ciara Ní Bhroin -- "Wild Irish with a vengeance" : definitions of Irishness in Katharine Tynan's children's literature / Colette Epplé -- The little big house : Somerville and Ross's works for children / Julie Anne Stevens -- Teenage tantrums and territorial traumas : public and private pasts in Melody for Nora / Pádriag Whyte -- "It's the way we tell 'em" : voices from Ulster children's fiction / Robert Dunbar -- F(r)ictional masculinities : the representation of manhood in Rosemary Sutcliffe's Roman Britain series of novels for young adults / Patricia Kennon -- The "aventures of men in the perilous realm" : portrayals of conflict in two contemporary Irish fantasy novels for "'tween" readers / Jane O'Hanlon -- Translations of a land-locked island : maternal identity and forced migration / Eimear Hegarty -- "I'm not interested in faces" : self-inflicted isolation in The curious incident of the dog in the night-time / Coralline Dupuy -- And who will fight for Ireland? : the Great war, propaganda and the representation of conflict in children's popular literature / Michael Flanagan -- Our boys, De Valera's Ireland and the European crisis, 1932-9 / Dáire Keogh : The ants go marching in - ant fascism from Ciondolino to Antz / Lindsay Myers -- Political, social and cultural divisions in the work of Gianna Rodari / Francesca Califano -- The depiction of class in Mrs Alexander's Hymns for little children / Carole Dunbar -- Values and primary school textbooks in Ireland, 1900-99 / James Bennett -- Poetry in Irish primary school English-language readers, 1922-50 / Áine Carroll -- Divisions in the world of Irish publishing for children : re-colonization or globalization? / Celia Keenan.
- 1846820111 (hbk.) and 9781846820113 (hbk.)
- "Third publication of the Irish Society for the Study of Childrens Literature ... consists of commissioned articles and selected papers from the third annual conference of the Society, held in St Patrick's College, Drumcondra, Dublin, in February 2005"--preface.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3868330