Vocabulary and the four skills : pedagogy, practice, and implications for teaching vocabulary / edited by Jon Clenton and Paul Booth
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York : Routledge, 2020.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Additional Creators:
- Clenton, Jon and Booth, Paul (Linguist)
- Part I. Introduction: 1. Introduction: Vocabulary and the Four Skills: Current Issues and Future Concerns / Jon Clenton and Paul Booth -- Part II. Listening: 2. Vocabulary and Listening: Current Research, Tools, and Practices / Suzanne Graham and Pengchong Zhang -- 3. Vocabulary Learning through Listening: Which Words are Easier or More Difficult to Learn and Why? / Pengchong Zhang and Suzanne Graham -- 4. Vocabulary and Listening / Jim Milton and Ahmed Masrai -- 5. Vocabulary and listening: Future Research, Tools, and Practices / Jim Milton and Ahmed Masrai -- Part III. Reading: 6. Vocabulary and Reading: Current Research, Tools, and Practices / Jeanine Treffers-Daller -- 7. Building Vocabulary Knowledge from and for Reading: Ways to Improve Lexical Quality / Irina Elgort -- 8. The Validity of The Tem-4 as a Measure of Vocabulary Knowledge and Reading Comprehension / Jeanine Treffers-Daller and Jingyi Huang -- 9. Vocabulary and Reading: Future Research, Tools, and Practices / Irina Elgort -- Part IV. Speaking: 10. Vocabulary and Speaking: Current Research, Tools, and Practices / Takumi Uchihara -- 11. Investigating the Extent to which Vocabulary Knowledge and Skills can Predict Aspects of Fluency for a Small Group of Pre-intermediate Japanese L1 Users of English L2 / Jon Clenton, Nivja H. de Jong, Dion Clingwall and Simon Fraser -- 12. Re-Examining the Relationship between Productive Vocabulary and Second Language Oral Ability / Takumi Uchihara, Kazuya Saito and Jon Clenton -- 13. Vocabulary and Speaking: Future Research, Tools, and Practices / Jon Clenton -- Part V. Writing: 14. Vocabulary and Writing: Current Research, Tools, and Practices / Paul Booth -- 15. Specialised Vocabulary in Writing: Looking Outside ELT / Averil Coxhead -- 16. Lexical Development Paths in Relation to Academic Writing / Paul Booth -- 17. Vocabulary and Writing: Future Research, Tools, and Practices / Averil Coxhead -- Part VI. Conclusion: 18. Conclusion: Vocabulary and the Four Skills: Pedagogy and Practice / Paul Booth and Jon Clenton -- Index.
- "This edited volume provides a single coherent overview of vocabulary teaching and learning in relation to each of the four skills (reading, writing, listening, speaking). Each of the four sections presents a skill area with two chapters presented by two leading experts in the field, relating recent advances in the field to the extent that each skill area relates differently to vocabulary and how this informs pedagogy and policy. The book opens with a summary of recent advances in the field of vocabulary, and closes by drawing conclusions from the skill areas covered. The chapters respond to emerging vocabulary research trends that indicate that lexical acquisition needs to be treated differently according to the skill area. The editors have chosen chapters to respond to recent research advances and to highlight practical and pedagogical application in a single coherent volume"--
- 9780429285400 electronic book
9781000074628 (electronic bk. : EPUB)
1000074625 (electronic bk. : EPUB)
9781000074604 (electronic bk. : PDF)
1000074609 (electronic bk. : PDF)
9781000074611 (electronic bk. : Mobipocket)
1000074617 (electronic bk. : Mobipocket)
View MARC record | catkey: 38976581