Pink saris / Women Make Movies ; a film by Kim Longinotto with Amber Latif and Girjashanker Vohra ; produced for Channel 4 by Vixen Films & Ginger Productions ; [director, Kim Longinotto].
- [New York, New York] : Women Make Movies, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (1 video file (96 min.)) : sound, color
- Additional Creators:
- Longinotto, Kim, Latif, Amber, Vohra, Girjashanker, Pal, Sampat, 1961?-, Vixen Films, Ginger Productions (Great Britain), Channel Four (Great Britain), and Women Make Movies (Firm)
- Language Note:
- In Hindi with English subtitles.
- Restrictions on Access:
- Access restricted to subscribing institutions.
- The "Pink Gang" is a group of women who wear pink saris as a symbol of their revolt against their society. They are victims of domestic violence, rape and social exclusion. Their champion is Sampat Pal Devi, who takes up their cases of social injustice, often perpetrated by their husbands' extended families, with whom they're forced to live. Declaring 'women have nothing but their tears; what else do they have?', Sampat Pal has learned from experience. Once a child-bride and a victim of abuse herself, Sampat has no fear. She fought back and escaped the family, and now beleaguered women from throughout Uttar Pradesh seek her out, looking for the support and strength to do the same. Sampat Pal laudably takes up their causes, dramatically throwing herself into the middle of family dramas, yet for all her spirited righteousness, she can be forced to compromise in the face of the entrenched conventions and traditions she is railing against.
- Pal, Sampat, 1961?-
- Civil rights workers—India—Uttar Pradesh—Biography
- Feminists—India—Uttar Pradesh—Biography
- Women—Crimes against—India
- Women—Violence against—India—Prevention
- Abused women—Legal status, laws, etc—India
- Victims of family violence—Protection—India
- Family violence—India
- Women's rights—India
- Women—Legal status, laws, etc—India
- Women—India—Social conditions—21st century
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Camera, Kim Longinotto ; film editor, Ollie Huddleston ; online editor, Richard Wilding.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Features Sampat Pal.
- Technical Details:
- System requirements: An Internet browser with HTML5 support.
Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 38980014