Writing for science and engineering : papers, presentations and reports / Heather Silyn-Roberts
- Silyn-Roberts, Heather
- London ; Waltham, MA : Elsevier Science, 2013.
- 2nd ed.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource
- Front Cover; Writing for Science and Engineering; Copyright Page; Contents; Introduction: How to Use This Book; Added for the Second Edition; The Basic Structure of the Book; How to Use This Book; 1: Document Structure. The Requirements for each Section; 1 Structuring a Document: Using the Headings Skeleton; The Basic Skeleton of Section Headings for a Technical Document; TAIMRAD: The classic structure of an experimental report; When TAIMRAD Isn't an appropriate structure for your document; Choosing a set of main headings; Choosing Section Headings: Building an Extended Skeleton., Steps to takeThe Outline Mode of Microsoft Word®: Organizing a Document; The Importance of Overview Information; Building a roadmap by giving overview information throughout; Deliberate Repetition of Information in a Document; Specific Types of Documents: Using This Book; Checklist for the structuring of a document; 2 The Core Chapter: Sections and Elements of a Document; Letter of Transmittal, Covering letter; The Title; Purpose; Difficulties; How to write it; Running Title; A Conference Poster Title; Common mistakes; The Title Page; Purpose; How to write it., Authorship and Affiliation (Particularly in a Journal Paper)Abstract (can also be called a Summary); Keywords; Acknowledgements; Purpose; How to write it; Common mistakes; Table of Contents (or Contents Page); Purpose; Difficulties; How to write it; Common mistakes; Example: Table of Contents; List of Illustrations; Purpose; How to write it; Common mistakes; Glossary of Terms and Abbreviations (or List of Symbols, when dealing with only mathematical symbols); Purpose; How to write it; Where to put it; Introduction; Purpose; Difficulties; Tense of the verb in the Introduction; Common mistakes., Introduction: checklistBackground; Theory; Objectives; Purpose; How to write it; Purpose Statement, Scoping Statement (or Scope), Procedure Statement, Problem Statement; Purpose statement; Purpose; How to Write It; Problem statement; Purpose; How to write it; Scope statement; Purpose; How to write it; Procedure statement; Purpose; How to write it; Literature Review; Purpose; A Section Covering Your Planning of Tasks; Purpose; How to write it; Allocation of Responsibilities; Ownership/Confidentiality; Purpose; When needed; How to write it; Requirements; Purpose; How to write it; Costs; Purpose., and How to write itMaterials and Methods (can also be called Methods or Procedure); Purpose; Difficulties; Results; Purpose; Difficulties; General comments; Structuring of Corresponding Headings for Materials and Methods and Results Sections; Schematic; Results and Discussion; Formula for a results and discussion section; Discussion; Purpose; Difficulties; Conclusions; Purpose; How to write it; Recommendations; Purpose; Position in the document; How to write it; Tense of the verb; Suggestions for Future Research; Purpose; How to write it; List of References or References.
- Learning how to write clearly and concisely is an integral part of furthering your research career; however, doing so is not always easy. In this fully updated and revised edition, Dr. Silyn-Roberts explains in plain English the steps to writing abstracts, theses, journal papers, funding bids, literature reviews, and more. The book also examines preparing seminar and conference presentations. Written in a practical and easy to follow style specifically for postgraduate students in Engineering and Sciences, this book is essential in learning how to create powerful documents.
- 9780080982861 (electronic bk.)
- Digital File Characteristics:
- data file
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 39314662