The Hebrew Bible reborn : from Holy Scripture to the Book of Books : a history of biblical culture and the battles over the Bible in modern Judaism / by Yaacov Shavit, Mordechai Eran ; translated by Chaya Naor
- Studia Judaica : forschungen zur Wissenschaft des Judentums, 0585-5306 ; Bd. 38
- "Back to the Bible" : the biblical revolution in the nineteenth century -- Wellhausen and his school : the Jewish response to higher criticism -- "Truth shall spring out of the earth : the initial Jewish reaction to the archaeology of the ancient Near East -- The Babel-Bibel controversy as a typological event -- Friedrich Delitzsch and a second "Tower of Babel" -- Delitzsch's three lectures on Babel and Bibel -- The controversy in the German arena : theology vs. science -- At war : within and without -- Contra Delitzsch : revelation, originality and ethics -- From Noah to the Sabbath -- After Delitzsch : the Bible and Jewish Bible study in Germany between the two world wars -- Bible criticism arrives in Eretz Israel : struggle and reception -- "Extra-academic" Bible study and Bible criticism -- Orthodox Bible criticism in Eretz Israel -- The Bible as history and biblical archaeology: "can two walk together? (Amos 3:3) -- The national Bible vs. the cultural Bible -- The golden age of biblical culture -- From golden age to decline.
- 9783110191417 (alk. paper)
3110191415 (alk. paper)
- Expanded translation of Milḥemet ha-luḥot.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -550) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3932690