Eating disorders / Viqi Wagner, book editor
- Detroit : Greenhaven Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 244 pages : 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Wagner, Viqi, 1953-
- Opposing viewpoints series
- Are eating disorders a serious problem? Eating disorders are a growing public health threat / Eating Disorders Coalition for Research, Policy & Action ; The problem of eating disorders is exaggerated / Malcolm Evans ; Eating disorders primarily affect white Western women / Anne Iverson ; Eating disorders are a growing problem among minority women / Denise Brodey ; Eating disorders contribute to the epidemic of obesity in America / Susan Z. Yanovski ; The obesity epidemic is a myth that promotes eating disorders / Courtney E. Martin -- What causes eating disorders? Genetics play a significant role in eating disorders / Craig Johnson and Cynthia Bulik ; Eating disorders may be symptoms of chronic physical illness / Randy Schellenberg ; Neurochemical imbalances cause anorexia / Ellen Ruppel Shell ; Eating disorders have multiple complex causes / Anorexia Nervosa and Related Eating Disorders, Inc. ; Cultural obsession with thinness is harmful / Mimi Spencer ; Cultural obsession with thinness is not harmful / Polly Vernon ; The fashion industry promotes eating disorders / Janet Treasure et al. ; The fashion industry should not be held responsible for eating disorders / Michelle Cottle -- What role does the Internet play in eating disorders? Pro-ana web sites are dangerous and should be condemned / Elanor Taylor ; Pro-ana web sites are valuable and have a right to exist / Angie Rankman ; Controversial web sites glorify anorexia and bulimia / Kristen Depowski and Kelly Hart ; The Internet is an important tool in recovery from eating disorders / Theresia Laksmana -- How should eating disorders be treated? Involuntary treatment of anorexics is justified / James L. Werth Jr. et al. ; Some anorexics have the right to refuse treatment / Simona Giordano ; Family therapy is the most promising treatment for anorexia / James Lock ; There are no effective treatments for chronic anorexia / Judith Graham ; Medications effectively treat bulimia and binge-eating disorder / Diane Mickley ; Cognitive behavioral therapy is an effective treatment for bulimia and binge-eating disorder / Ann M. Schapman-Williams, James Lock, and Jennifer Couturier ; Effective treatment for eating disorders depends on increasing insurance coverage / Leah Litman.
- 9780737733488 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 231-234) and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Social Sciences copy: Purchased with funds from the Renee Cohen Friedman and Robert S. Friedman Libraries Endowment; 20078.
View MARC record | catkey: 3934902