Tarnation [videorecording] / produced by Jonathan Caouette, Stephen Winter ; written by Jonathan Caouette ; directed by Jonathan Caouette
- [United States] : Wellspring Media, 
- Physical Description:
- 1 videodisc (85 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Caouette, Jonathan, 1973-, LeBlanc, Renee, Davis, Adolph, Davis, Rosemary, 1927-1995, Paz, David Sanin, Cox, Michael, 1979-, Califra, John, Lichtenstein, Max Avery, and Wellspring Media
- Language Note:
- In English with optional French subtitles.
- A multitude of family snapshots, Super-8 home movies, old answering machine messages, video diaries, early short films, snippets of '80s pop culture, and dramatic reenactments are used to create an epic portrait of an American family travesty. Begins in 2003 when Jonathan learns that his schizophrenic mother, Renee, overdoses on her lithium medication. He is shot back into his real and horrifying family legacy of rape, abandonment, promiscuity, drug addiction, child abuse, and psychosis. He grows up on camera and finds his escape in musical theater and B-horror movies. A look into the future shows Jonathan as he confronts the almost unbearable love he shares with his tragically damaged mother.
- Audience Notes:
- Not rated.
- Originally released as a motion picture in 2003.
Special features include audio commentary with director, extended rushes, two bonus tracks, poster gallery and trailer gallery.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Director of photography, Jonathan Caouette ; editors, Jonathan Caouette, Brian A. Kates ; music, John Califra, Max Avery Lichtenstein.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Renee LeBlanc, Jonathan Caouette, Adolph Davis, Rosemary Davis, David Sanin Paz, Michael Cox, Dagon James.
- Technical Details:
- DVD, region 1; Dolby Digital.
- No public performance rights. Classroom instruction and home use permitted.
- Boston Society of Film Critics Awards, 2004: BSFC Award - Best New Filmmaker (Jonathan Caouette); National Society of Film Critics: Best Documentary.
View MARC record | catkey: 3934922