Men in families [electronic resource] : when do they get involved? : what difference does it make? / edited by Alan Booth, Ann C. Crouter
- Mahwah, N.J. : Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1998.
- Physical Description:
- x, 346 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Booth, Alan, 1935-, Crouter, Ann C., and NetLibrary, Inc
- pt. 1. Men's roles in families : a look back, a look forward. From patriarchy to androgyny and other myths : placing men's family roles in historical perspective / Steven Mintz -- The invisible man revisited : comments on the life course, history, and men's roles in American families / Linda M. Burton and Anastasia R. Snyder -- On the flexibility of fatherhood / Andrew J. Cherlin -- Fatherhood then and now / Michael E. Lamb -- pt. 2. Men's investment in parenthood. Human parental investment and fertility : the life histories of men in Albuquerque / Hillard S. Kaplan, Jane B. Lancaster, and Kermyt G. Anderson -- Why should fathers father? / Patricia Draper -- In search of a theory : men's fertility and parental investment in modern economics / William Marsiglio -- Subjectivity and practicality in mating and parenting decisions / Catherine A. Surra -- pt. 3. Marital relations : what do men contribute? Toward a process model of men in marriages and families / John Mordechai Gottman -- Gender, power, and emotional expression : social and historical contexts for a process model of men in marriages and families / Scott Coltrane -- The importance of variation among men and the benefits of feminism for families / Julia McQuillan and Myra Marx Ferree -- Marriages in men's lives / Steven L. Nock -- pt. 4. Fathers : when do they make a difference? More than money? : men's contributions to their children's lives / Paul R. Amato -- Paternal influence and children's well-being : limits of, and new directions for, understanding / Jay Belsky -- Social capital and the role of fathers in the family / Frank F. Furstenberg, Jr. -- Men's contributions to children and social policy / Judith A. Seltzer -- Men in families : looking back, looking forward / Susan L. Brown and Matthew F. Bumpus.
- 0585114803 (electronic bk.)
- Based on presentations from a national symposium on men in families, held at Pennsylvania State University, 1996.
AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Boulder, Colo. : NetLibrary, 2000. Available via the World Wide Web. Available in multiple electronic file formats. Access may be limited to NetLibrary affiliated libraries.
- Funding Information:
- This netLibrary electronic book is provided through the Access Pennsylvania Database project, a statewide library union catalog funded by the Pennsylvania Legislature and administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Office of Commonwealth Libraries, Bureau of Library Development.
View MARC record | catkey: 3937450