Presenting Japanese Buddhism to the West [electronic resource] : Orientalism, Occidentalism, and the Columbian exposition / by Judith Snodgrass
- Snodgrass, Judith
- Chapel Hill : University of North Carolina Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 351 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- NetLibrary, Inc
- Bibliographic record display: ezaccess.libraries.psu.edu , Click here to access this electronic book provided through the Access Pennsylvania Database project.
- Japan faces the West -- Manifest destiny: Christianity and American imperialism -- The rules of the parliament: securing the truth -- Alterity: Buddhism as the "other" of Christianity -- Buddhism and modernity in Meiji Japan -- Buddhist revival and Japanese nationalism -- Deploying western authority 1.: Henry Steel Olcott in Japan -- Buddhism and treaty revision: the Chicago project -- Defining Eastern Buddhism -- Paul Carus: Buddhism and Monist mission -- Deploying western authority 2.: Carus in translation -- From Eastern Buddhism to Zen: a postscript.
- 080786319X (electronic bk.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 323-343) and index.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic reproduction. Boulder, Colo. : NetLibrary, 2004. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to NetLibrary affiliated libraries. Excludes some or all of the images which were part of the original book.
- Funding Information:
- This netLibrary electronic book is provided through the Access Pennsylvania Database project, a statewide library union catalog funded by the Pennsylvania Legislature and administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Office of Commonwealth Libraries, Bureau of Library Development.
View MARC record | catkey: 3937888