Pesticide use during the Gulf War : a survey of Gulf War veterans / Ronald D. Fricker, Jr. [and others].
- Santa Monica, CA : RAND, 2000.
- Physical Description:
- xxxii, 118 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Fricker, Ronald D., 1960-, Reardon, Elaine, Spektor, Dalia M., Cotton, Sarah K., Hawes-Dawson, Jennifer, 1951-, Pace, Jennifer, Hosek, Susan D., National Defense Research Institute (U.S.). Forces and Resources Policy Center, Center for Military Health Policy Research, Rand Corporation, and United States. Department of Defense. Office of the Secretary of Defense
- www.rand.org , Online access
- This report documents the results of a telephone survey of 2,005 Gulf War veterans investigating the use of pesticides during Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Respondents statistically represented the U.S. military population in the Kuwaiti Theater of Operations between August 1990 and July 1991. Survey results characterized pesticide use by U.S. service members, including personal and field use of pesticides, as well as observed pesticide use by others. Information was obtained for living, working, and eating areas for a randomly chosen month of deployment. Results show that the majority of personnel were exposed to some pesticides, and there were differences in use by service; small differences by season and by rank, and larger differences by living arrangements. Possible cases of misuse of some pesticides were identified. However, with the exception of the use of flea collars, these cases could also be attributed to incorrect pesticide identification. The authors found no evidence of widespread misuse of field pesticides.
- Report Numbers:
- Other Subject(s):
- "The research ... was carried out jointly by RAND Health's Center for Military Health Policy Research and the Forces and Resources Policy Center of the National Defense Research Institute"--Pref.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 117-118).
- Other Forms:
- Also available on the internet via WWW in PDF and HTML formats.
- Funding Information:
- Office of Secretary of Defense. DASW01-95-C-0059. ND001 OD24
- Complexity Note:
- Supersedes RAND/DRR-2252-1-OSD.
Summarized by RAND/RB-7544-OSD.
View MARC record | catkey: 3939989