How does Congress approach population and family planning issues? : results of qualitative interviews with legislative directors / Sally Patterson, David M. Adamson
- Patterson, Sally
- Santa Monica, CA : RAND, 1999.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 36 pages ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Adamson, David M., Rand Corporation, Labor and Population Program. Population Matters, William & Flora Hewlett Foundation, Rockefeller Foundation, and United Nations Fund for Population Activities
- Congressional opinions on issues related to population are highly polarized. Approximately 90 percent of Congress consistently votes either uniformly to support or uniformly to oppose population-related legislation--so the remaining 10 percent is likely to determine the fate of such initiatives. To determine how this critical group makes its decisions, researchers interviewed a sample of legislative directors (chosen as proxies, to allow in-depth interviews). Most respondents felt that the United States should continue to play a leading role internationally, but several also stressed that their members of Congress favor increased emphasis on multilateral approaches. A majority felt that world population growth is a problem but is not urgent. Nearly unanimous support was expressed for U.S. support of voluntary family planning when it is understood to exclude abortion. Congress would benefit from research-based, factual information on a variety of international population issues.
- "Population Matters."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 35-36).
- Other Forms:
- Also available on the internet via WWW in PDF format.
- Funding Information:
- William and Flora Hewlett Foundation. LP056 5650, Rockefeller Foundation. LP056 5650, and United Nations Population Fund. LP056 5650
- Complexity Note:
- Supersedes RAND/DRR-1884-WHFH/RF/UNFPA. and Summarized in RAND/RB-5041.
View MARC record | catkey: 3940011