Strategic and performance planning for the Office of the Chancellor for Education and Professional Development in the Department of Defense / Dina G. Levy [and others].
- Santa Monica, CA : RAND, 2001.
- Physical Description:
- xxvii, 149 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Levy, Dina G., Benjamin, Roger W., Bikson, Tora K., 1940-, Derghazarian, Eric, Dewar, James A., Gates, Susan M., 1968-, Kaganoff, Tessa, Moini, Joy S., Szayna, Thomas S., 1960-, Zimmer, Ron W., National Defense Research Institute (U.S.). Forces and Resources Policy Center, Rand Corporation, and United States. Department of Defense. Office of the Secretary of Defense
- The DoD is one of the largest employers of civilians in the nation, and ensuring high-quality education, training, and development is an important part of maintaining the quality of that workforce. Thus, the Department of Defense Office of the Chancellor for Education and Professional Development was established in 1998 as the principal advocate for the academic quality and cost-effectiveness of all DoD institutions, programs, and courses of instruction that provide education or professional development for DoD civilians. This study examines several approaches to establishing visions, strategic plans, and implementation plans for the Chancellor's office in its effort to develop a strategic and performance planning process. The authors conducted case studies of strategic planning in comparable institutions with reputations for high performance. The authors also reviewed the literature on strategic planning and conducted interviews to gather information from institutional leaders. The report describes a framework for analyzing strategic planning; key trends affecting DoD civilian education, training, and development; challenges facing the Chancellor's office; and lessons learned from the case studies.
- Report Numbers:
- Other Subject(s):
- "National Defense Research Institute."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 139-149).
- Other Forms:
- Also available on the internet via WWW in PDF format.
- Funding Information:
- Office of Secretary of Defense. DASW01-01-C-0004. ND100 6090. ND100 9A33
- Complexity Note:
- Summarized in RAND/RB-7546-OSD.
View MARC record | catkey: 3940138