Handbook of human tissue sources : a national resource of human tissue samples / Elisa Eiseman, Susanne B. Haga
- Eiseman, Elisa
- Santa Monica, CA : RAND, 1999.
- Physical Description:
- xxvii, 251 pages ; 26 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Haga, Susanne
Science and Technology Policy Institute (Rand Corporation)
United States. Office of Science and Technology Policy
- To date, no central database captures information about stored tissue samples. This handbook serves as a national resource, to bring together for the first time, in a single document, information about tissue storage in the United States. It provides information about several aspects of stored tissue samples, such as how many samples exist in the United States, where they are, who has access to them, and for what purposes they are used. A conservative estimate from the tissue collections described in this book is that more than 307 million specimens from more than 178 million cases are stored in the United States, accumulating at a rate of more than 20 million per year. This handbook will be a valuable resource for researchers who require tissue samples for studies in genetics, cancer, immunology, physiology, and cell biology, among many other disciplines. In addition, it should be useful to policymakers, physicians, and other professionals in fields related to health care.
- "Science and Technology Policy Institute."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 231-233) and index.
- Other Forms:
- Also available on the internet via WWW in PDF format.
- Funding Information:
- Office of Science and Technology Policy. ENG-9812731. ND001 0D05. ND001 0D22
View MARC record | catkey: 3940600