How should the Army use contractors on the battlefield? : assessing comparative risk in sourcing decisions / Frank Camm and Victoria A. Greenfield
- Camm, Frank A., 1949-
- Santa Monica, CA : RAND, 2005.
- Physical Description:
- xxix, 216 pages : illustrations ; 28 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Greenfield, Victoria A., 1964-, Arroyo Center. Manpower and Training Program, Rand Corporation, and United States. Army
- Can the Army improve the way it measures the risks of using civilian contractors in combat? This report proposes a method for comparing the "residual risks" of using military and contract sources to perform specific support activities on the battlefield. It applies the Army's standard approach to risk assessment, which identifies sources of risk, or "threat"; the risks the threats present; the opportunities to mitigate these risks; and the risk that remains-the residual risk-when the Army chooses a particular course of action to mitigate risks. The approach considers choices of military and contract sources, with appropriate mitigation strategies, as alternative courses of action and compares the residual risks associated with each choice. The approach offers an orderly way to translate relative inherent capabilities of military and contract sources, terms of applicable status-of-forces agreements, and threats at any particular place and time on the battlefield into a comparison of the residual risks associated with military outcomes, the safety of contract personnel, resource costs, and other policy factors of greatest importance outside a particular contingency setting.
- Report Numbers:
- United States. Army—Supplies and stores
- United States. Army—Appropriations and expenditures
- Defense contracts—United States
- Combatants and noncombatants (International law)
- Civil-military relations—United States
- Logistics—Contracting out—United States
- Contracting out—United States—Decision making
- Operational readiness (Military science)
- Other Subject(s):
- 0833037366 (pbk.)
- "RAND Arroyo Center."
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 203-216).
- Other Forms:
- Also available on the internet via WWW in PDF format.
- Funding Information:
- Army. DASW01-01-C-0003. AR200 5402. AR200 1007
- Complexity Note:
- Supersedes RAND/DRR-3200-A.
Summarized by RAND/RB-9123-A.
See also RAND/MG-282-A.
View MARC record | catkey: 3940965