ESTIMATED COPPER CONCENTRATIONS REQUIRED FOR OPERATION OF HOMOGENEOUS REACTORS
- McDuffie, H. F.
- United States : [publisher not identified], 1952.
[Oak Ridge, Tennessee] : [U.S. Atomic Energy Commission], 1952.
- Physical Description:
- microopaque : positive ; 8 x 13 cm
- A power system is described whereby 7500 hw of electrical power is produced by two identical nuclear reactors operating in parallel to supply a common boiler and, in turn, to drive a low-pressure steam turbine --generator set. This system is especially designed for power generation in an isolated location where fuel transportation difficulties make other power sources impractical. In this report, a new method of shim control is suggested for the reactors which reduces the otherwise high initial excess reactivity required for long periods of operation. This method involves the addition of a predetermined amount of nuclear poison to the fuel which is burned ort at a rate comparable to that of the fissionable material. This tends to maintain the multiplication factor of the reactor at a nearly constant value. (auth)
- Report Numbers:
- Other Subject(s):
- U.S. Atomic Energy Commission depository collection.
- DOE contract number: W-7405-ENG-26
NSA number: NSA-12-000994
OSTI Identifier 4332242
Research organization: Oak Ridge National Lab., Tenn..
View MARC record | catkey: 39619217