Natural history : stories / Andrea Barrett
- Barrett, Andrea
- Uniform Title:
- Short Stories. Selections
- New York, NY : W.W. Norton & Company, Inc., 
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 192 pages : geneological chart ; 22 cm
- Wonders of the shore -- The regimental history -- Henrietta and her moths -- The accident -- Open house -- Natural history.
- "A masterful new collection of interconnected stories, from the renowned National Book Award-winning author. In Natural History, Andrea Barrett completes the beautiful arc of intertwined lives of a family of scientists, teachers, and innovators that she has been weaving through multiple books since her National Book Award-winning collection, Ship Fever. The six exquisite stories in Natural History are set largely in a small community in central New York state and portray some of her most beloved characters, spanning the decades between the Civil War to the present day. In "Henrietta and Her Moths, " a woman tends to an insect nursery as her sister's life follows a different path. In "Open House, " a young man grapples with a choice between a thrilling life spent discovering fossils and a desire to remain close to home. And in the magnificent title novella, "Natural History, " Barrett deepens the connection between her characters, bringing us through to the present day and providing an unforgettable capstone. Told with Barrett's characteristic elegance, passion for science, and wonderful eye for the natural world, the psychologically astute and moving stories gathered in this collection evoke the ways women's lives and expectations-in families, in work, and in love-have shifted across a century and more. Building upon one another, these tales brilliantly culminate to reveal how the smallest events of the past can have large reverberations across the generations, and how potent, wondrous, and strange the relationship between history and memory can be"--
- 9781324035190 hardcover
View MARC record | catkey: 39660199