Born to parse [electronic resource] : how children select their languages / David W. Lightfoot
- Lightfoot, David, 1945-
- Cambridge, Massachusetts : The MIT Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 196 pages ; 22 cm
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- 1. Three Visions -- 2. Three New Parses -- 3. Parsing and Variable Properties -- 4. Parsing at Interfaces -- 5. Population Biology: The Spread of New Variable Properties -- 6. Variable Properties in Language: Their Nature and Selection -- Notes -- References -- Index.
- "This book represents a new approach to language acquisition and to variable properties in language. By taking a novel approach in allowing for an account of the acquisition of variable properties of language and a biologically plausible treatment of language variation, Lightfoot argues against the use of binary parameters, for the centrality of parsing in language acquisition, and for the "openness" of Universal Grammar"--
- 9780262044097 (hardcover)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 39667330