Exploring Self Toward Expanding Teaching, Teacher Education and Practitioner Research / edited by Oren Ergas, Jason K. Ritter
- Bingley : Emerald Publishing, 2020.
- Copyright Date:
- First edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xvii, 291 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Ergas, Oren and Ritter, Jason K.
- Cover -- EXPLORING SELF TOWARD EXPANDING TEACHING, TEACHER EDUCATION AND PRACTITIONER RESEARCH -- ADVANCES IN RESEARCH ON TEACHING -- EXPLORING SELF TOWARD EXPANDING TEACHING, TEACHER EDUCATION AND PRACTITIONER RESEARCH -- Copyright -- TABLE OF CONTENTS -- LIST OF FIGURES -- ABOUT THE SERIES EDITOR -- ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTORS -- ACKNOWLEDGMENT -- Introduction: Why Explore Self in Teaching, Teacher Education, and Practitioner Research -- Introduction -- This Book and Its Structure -- Conclusion -- References, 1. The Calm, Clear, and Kind Educator: A Contemplative Educational Approach to Teacher Professional Identity Development -- Abstract -- Introduction -- Calm in Body, Clear in Mind, Kind in Heart -- Introducing the CCK Framework -- Mental and Physical Calmness -- Far Enemy of Calmness: Reactivity -- A Near Enemy of Calmness: Suppression -- Cultivating Calmness: An Example Contemplative Practice -- Mental and Verbal Clarity -- Far Enemy of Clarity: Distracted -- A Near Enemies of Clarity: Surety -- Cultivating Clarity: An Example Contemplative Practice -- Kindness -- Far Enemy of Kind: Critical, Near Enemies of Kind: Empathetic Distress -- Cultivating Kindness: An Example Contemplative Practice -- Calm, Clear, and Kind in Education: Research to Date -- Conclusion -- Note -- References -- 2. Unleashing the Elephant out of the Closet and into the Wildness of Inner Work -- Abstract -- Introduction -- Why Is the Elephant in the Closet? Who Shoved It in There? -- Freeing the Elephant, Studying the Self -- Mindlessly Minding the Elephant -- Becoming an Elephant Whisperer -- Coda: Becoming an Elephantine Educator and Realizing the Unity of Self-other-environment -- References, 3. The Nature of Self and Its Challenges to Educational Orthodoxy and "Discipline" -- Abstract -- Introduction -- Learning About the Nature of Consciousness and Self as an Educational Entitlement -- Awakening to the True Nature of Self as an Educational Process -- Exploring the Nature of Conditioning and Its Impact on Suffering of a Separate Self -- Education's Collusion with a Separate Sense of Self -- Contemplative Education as de-education -- Dedication -- Acknowledgment -- References -- 4. Working in the Space Between: Conundrums in Self-Study of Practice Research -- Abstract, and The Conundrum of BECOMING of Self and Other in S-SP Research -- The Conundrum of the Self in Self-Study of Practice Methodology -- The Conundrum of the Wholeness and the Particular -- The Conundrum of the Ethical for Self and Other in S-SP Research -- Re-exploring Conundrums of Self in Self-Study of Practice Research -- References -- 5. Studying the Self in Self-study: Self-knowledge as a Means Toward Relational Teacher Education -- Abstract -- Introduction -- Situating Self in Teaching Practice and Its Research -- Methods of Inquiry -- Self-knowledge and Relational Teacher Education
- Against the backdrop of a pull toward external standards and accountability, this collection of chapters re-grounds us in the importance of bringing the 'self' to the foreground of the discourse of teaching, teacher education and practitioner research.
- 9781839822643 (electronic book)
1839822643 (electronic book)
9781839822629 (electronic book)
1839822627 (electronic book)
- Endowment Note:
- Paterno Libraries Endowment
View MARC record | catkey: 39687052