Lomazzo's aesthetic principles reflected in the art of his time [electronic resource] / edited by Lucia Tantardini, Rebecca Norris ; foreword by Roberto Paolo Ciardi ; introduction by Jean Julia Chai ; afterword by Alexander Marr
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Physical Description:
- xxix, 220 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Tantardini, Lucia, Norris, Rebecca, and Chai, Jean Julia, 1957-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- 'Oh blessed, excellent mind and hands!' : Lomazzo's admiration for Gaudenzio Ferrari / Rossana Sacchi -- New light on Lomazzo's artistic career / Mauro Pavesi -- Giovanni Ambrogio Brambilla : poet, painter, draughtsman, and printmaker between Milan and Rome / Alessia Alberti -- Lomazzo vs. Luini : comparative aesthetics / Lucia Tantardini -- 'De la gran Cantona i chiari honori' : Caterina Cantoni, Lomazzo, and the Accademia della Val di Blenio / Silvia Mausoli -- Lomazzo's two pupils : 'first is Figino, and then Ciocca' / Federico Cavalieri and Mauro Pavesi -- Lomazzo's influence on decorative patterns in sculptural workshops before and after 1600 / Paolo Sanvito -- Afterword : Lomazzo's shadow / Alexander Marr.
- "This volume explores the influence that Lomazzo exerted on his contemporaries. It opens with two critical essays on Lomazzo's fortuna critica (Foreword and Introduction). The following contributions focus on 1) Lomazzo's reflection on Gaudenzio Ferrari; 2) Lomazzo's paintings; 3) Lomazzo's influence on printmaking with Ambrogio Brambilla; 4) on painting and drawing with Aurelio Luini; 5) on embroidery with Caterina Cantoni; 6) on his pupils Ambrogio Figino and Girolamo Ciocca; and finally, 7) on sculpture. The first collection of essays on this subject, this volume bridges the scholarship, hitherto disjoined, on Lomazzo-theorist and Lomazzo-artist. It expands our understanding on a pillar of Renaissance art theory reuniting generations of scholars, from Ciardi, the father of Lomazzo's scholarship, to Chai, Marr, and others. Contributors include Alessia Alberti, Federico Cavalieri, Jean Julia Chai, Roberto Paolo Ciardi, Alexander Marr, Silvia Mausoli, Mauro Pavesi, Rossana Sacchi, Paolo Sanvito, and Lucia Tantardini"--
- 9789004359505 (hardback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 187-210) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 39691178