Perilous power : the Middle East & U.S. foreign policy : dialogues on terror, democracy, war, and justice / Noam Chomsky & Gilbert Achcar ; edited with a preface by Stephen R. Shalom
- Chomsky, Noam
- Additional Titles:
- Middle East and U.S. foreign policy
- Boulder : Paradigm Publishers, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xi, 276 pages ; 24 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Achcar, Gilbert and Shalom, Stephen Rosskamm, 1948-
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Preface -- Terrorism and conspiracies. Defining terrorism ; The terrorist threat ; Responding to terrorism ; 9/11 conspiracies ; Saddam Hussein's invasion of Kuwait -- Fundamentalism and democracy. Fundamentalism ; The Saudi Kingdom ; Democracy in the Middle East ; Fundamentalism and democracy ; Democracy since the Iraq invasion -- Sources of U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East. Oil ; Israel, the Israel lobby, and U.S. policy ; Israel and U.S. interests -- Wars in the "greater Middle East". Afghanistan ; Responding to 9/11 ; Afghanistan today ; The United States and Iraq, 2003 ; Other major powers and Iraq ; The current situation in Iraq ; The Iraqi insurgency ; U.S. policy in Iraq today ; What should the antiwar movement be calling for? ; Will withdrawal lead to civil war? ; The Kurds in Iraq ; The Kurds in Turkey -- Secession, self-determination, and justice ; Syria ; Iran -- The Israel-Palestine conflict. The legitimacy of Israel ; Palestinian say in any settlement ; Going from a settlement to lasting peace ; Palestinians within Israel ; Mizrahim ; The Palestinian refugees ; Efforts to achieve peace ; The Palestinian view of a settlement ; Zionism and the Palestinians ; Israeli politics ; Palestinian politics ; How can we support justice in Israel/Palestine? ; Boycotts, divestment, and other tactics ; Anti-semitism ; Anti-semitism in Western Europe ; Anti-Arab racism and Islamophobia -- Epilogue. The situation in Iraq ; Hamas in power ; The Israel-Hezbollah-Lebanon conflict ; The Israel lobby ; The United States and Iran ; Hezbollah ; Confrontation with Hamas and Hezbollah.
- 1594513120 (hc) and 9781594513121 (hc)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 243-266) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 3978955