Remonstrance of the United Society called Shakers, against the passage of a certain law [electronic resource] : To the honorable the Legislature of the state of New-York; The memorial of the undersigned, committee of the United Society, called Shakers, respectfully showeth, that a report of the Judiciary Committee of the assembly, to whom was referred several petitions for divorce, and a bill accompanying it ... And whereas such a law would be in contravention of the article 1, section 3, of the constitution of this state ... Therefore they protest against the passing of this or any other law which shall make an individual accountable for any religious tenets or doctrines, or make him answerable in any court for matters of faith and opinion, until so manifested by such conduct as shall interfere with the well defined rights of others ...
- Corporate Author:
- [Albany?] : [publisher not identified], 
- Physical Description:
- 1 sheet (1 unnumbered page) ; 25 x 20 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Bushnell, Richard, 1792-1874?, Evans, F. W. (Frederick William), 1808-1893, Bates, Issachar, 1790-1875, Dean, Richard, and New York (State). Legislature
- Submitted in protest against the assembly report of the Judiciary Committee, and the "bill accompanying it," which would deprive persons of marital and parental rights if they should become members "of any religious sect teaching certain doctrines and tenets [i.e., celibacy, etc.]." The proposed legislation grew out of William Pillow's and other petitions for divorce. Cf. Richmond, M.L. Shaker literature, nos. 1238 and 1083., "All which is respectfully submitted. New-Lebanon, February 26th, 1849. [signed:] Richard Bushnell, Frederick W. Evans, New-Lebanon. Issachar Bates, Richard Dean, Watervliet.", Printed area measures 21.5 x 17.6 cm., and AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Reproduction Note:
- Electronic text and image data. [Chester, Vt. : Readex, a division of Newsbank, Inc., 2005. Includes files in TIFF, GIF and PDF formats with inclusion of keyword searchable text. (American broadsides and ephemera. First series ; no. 7419).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Richmond, M.L.H. Shaker lit., 1238
View MARC record | catkey: 4019374