From the arthouse to the grindhouse [electronic resource] : highbrow and lowbrow transgression in cinema's first century / edited by John Cline, Robert G. Weiner
- Lanham, Md. : Scarecrow Press, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- xxi, 340 p. ; 22 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Cline, John, 1981- and Weiner, Robert G., 1966-
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Introduction / by John Cline and Robert G. Weiner -- Early transgressions. Erotica in the service of social hygiene : "sexual enlightenment" melodramas in Austro-Hungarian and Weimer German cinema / Mel Gordon -- Kicking against the pricks : the perverseness of Erich Von Stroheim / William B. Parrill -- Two Helens and a host of tricks : Tod Browning's The thirteenth chair / Gary Don Rhodes -- The prince of exploitation : Dwain Esper / Robert G. Weiner -- Sexploitation. Fondling your eyeballs : watching Doris Wishman / Rebekah McKendry -- "The sunshine boys of smut" : exploring cinema's sordid side through the films of Sonney and Friedman / Cynthia J. Miller -- Waterpower : in celebration of going too far / Jack Sargeant -- The last film, the last book : Pasolini and Sade / Stephen Barber -- Exhibition. Horror at the crossroads : class, gender, and taste at the Rialto Cinema (Time Square) in the 1940s / Mark Jancovich and Tim Snelson -- Japanese grindhouse : the Tobita cinema in Osaka / Johannes Schonherr -- Grindhouse and beyond / Jack Stevenson -- Art and grind in Seattle / Dennis Nyback -- Transgressive stars. The humanist transgressions of Lon Chaney / Rene Searfos -- The perfect threat : Arch Hall Jr., The sadist, and the ideal teenager / John Cline and Robert G.Weiner -- Jamie Gillis : the history of a 20th century sexual revolutionary / Michelle Clifford -- Cult-ural learnings from Borat : a model for the new standardized cult film / Anna Siomopoulos -- Reality/Documentary. The transgressive toke : art and misdemeanor in deadhead imagery / Emily D. Edwards -- The real "faces of death" : art shock in des morts / Mark Goodall -- The small world of the snuff fetish custom video / David Kerekes -- There is nothing more objectionable than objectivity : the films of Peter Watkins / Nick Muntean -- It's only a movie? : reality as transgression in exploitation cinema / David Ray Carter.
- 9780810876545 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 40235162