Certaine worthye manuscript poems of great antiquitie reserued long in the studie of a Northfolke gentleman. And now first published by I.S. 1 The statly tragedy of Guistard and Sismond. 2 The northren mothers blessing. 3 The way to thrifte [microform].
- Additional Titles:
- Certaine worthye manuscript poems of great antiquitie reserved long in the studie of a Northfolke gentleman, Certaine worthye manuscript poems of great antiquitie reserved long in the studie of a Northfolke gentleman, Northren mothers blessing. The way of thrift, and Way to thrifte
- Imprinted at London : [By Robert Robinson] for R[obert] D[exter], 1597.
- Physical Description:
- 80 unnumbered pages
- Additional Creators:
- Boccaccio, Giovanni, 1313-1375, Hall, Joseph, 1574-1656, and Stow, John, 1525?-1605
- "The northren mothers blessing. The way of thrift" has separate dated title page with "printed by Robert Robinson for Robert Dexter" in imprint.
"The statly tragedy of Guistard and Sismond" is a translation of the "Decamerone" by Giovanni Boccaccio, first tale of the fourth day.
All three pieces sometimes misattributed to Joseph Hall and regarded as part 3 of his "Virgidemiarum".
I.S. is probably John Stow.
Reproduction of the original in the Henry E. Huntington Library and Art Gallery.
Signatures: [A]¹ B-F (-F8).
The last leaf is blank.
Versions of the texts are listed in Brown, Carleton and Rossell Hope Robbins. The index of Middle English verse (1943), 3258, 671 and 1982.
ALSO AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Available electronically as part of Early English books online.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich. : UMI, 1951. 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. (Early English books, 1475-1640 ; 469:4).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.) 21499.
View MARC record | catkey: 4049701