The Byble [microform] : whych is all the holy Scripture: in whych are contayned the Old and Newe Testament, truelye and purely translated into Englishe by Thomas Matthewe. 1537
- Uniform Title:
- Bible. English Tyndale
- Additional Titles:
- Newe Testamente of our sauiour Iesu christ
Newe Testamente of our saviour Jesu christ
Prologe of the epistle of Saint Paul to the Romaynes
Psalmes of Dauid
Psalmes of David
- And now imprinted in the yeare of oure Lorde. M.D.XLIX. Imprinted at London : By Thomas Raynalde, and William Hyll dwelling in Paules Churche yeard, 
- Physical Description:
- 21 unnumbered pages, ccxliiii [i.e. 255], Cccxl [i.e. 292], 1 unnumbered page; lxxvi [i.e. 74]; 4 unnumbered pages, LI [i.e. 60] leaves
- Additional Creators:
- Rogers, John, 1500?-1555
Tyndale, William, -1536
- "The Newe Testamente of our sauiour Iesu christ" has separate dated title page, foliation, and register.
"The Psalmes of Dauid" and "The prologe of the epistle of Saint Paul to the Romaynes" (caption titles) begin new foliation on leaf Aa1 and a1 respectively.
"Thomas Matthew is commonly treated as a pseudonym of John Rogers (1500?-1555) .. But as Rogers only edited what is essentially Tyndale's translation, it seems more probable that Matthew stands for Tyndale's own name, which was then dangerous to employ"--Herbert 34.
Includes the Apocrypha.
Numerous errors in foliation.
Reproduction of the original in the British Library.
Signatures: *⁶ 2* 3*⁶ A-Z⁶ aa-tt⁶ vv⁴ Aa-Yy⁶ AA-YY⁶ AAa-BBb⁶ CCc-DDd A-H I¹⁰ a-c⁶ d-h ² I⁶.
With an almanac covering 1550-1561, and a concordance.
ALSO AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Available electronically as part of Early English books online.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich. : UMI, 1940. 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. (Early English books, 1475-1640 ; 84:01).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Darlow & Moule (Rev. 1968), 75.
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.) 2078.
View MARC record | catkey: 4052555