The text of the New Testament of Iesus Christ, translated out of the vulgar Latine by the papists of the traiterous seminarie at Rhemes. With arguments of bookes, chapters, and annotations, pretending to discouer the corruptions of diuers translations, and to cleare the controuersies of these dayes. Whereunto is added the translation out of the original Greeke, commonly vsed in the Church of England, with a confutation of all such arguments, glosses, and annotations, as conteine manifest impietie, of heresie, treason, and slander, against the catholike Church of God, and the true teachers thereof, or the translations vsed in the Church of England. The whole worke, perused and enlarged in diuers places by the authors owne hand before his death, with sundrie quotations, and authorities out of Holy Scriptures, counsels, fathers, and historie, more amply then in the former editions. By W. Fulke D. in Diuinitie [microform].
- Uniform Title:
- Bible. New Testament. English. Douai
- Additional Titles:
- Text of the New Testament of Jesus Christ
- London : Printed [by Adam Islip] for Thomas Adams, Anno 1617.
- Physical Description:
- 56 unnumbered pages, 912 pages, 14 unnumbered pages
- Additional Creators:
- Fulke, William, 1538-1589, Martin, Gregory, -1582, and Parker, Matthew, 1504-1575
- Related Titles:
- Bible. New Testament. English. Bishops'.
- A variant of the edition with Iohn Bill's name in the imprint.
Issued with "A defense of the sincere and true translation of the Holy Scriptures into the English tongue" by William Fulke (STC 11431).
Printer's name from STC.
Reproduction of the original in the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign Campus). Library.
The Douai version and the Bishops' Bible version in parallel columns, with Fulke's commentary at the end of each chapter. The Douai version is translated from the Vulgate chiefly by Gregory Martin; the Bishops' Bible translation was overseen by Matthew Parker.
Variant: title page has "Fuke".
ALSO AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Available electronically as part of Early English books online.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich. : UMI, 1985. 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. (Early English books, 1475-1640 ; 1682:11).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Darlow & Moule (Rev. 1968), 359.
Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.) 2917.
View MARC record | catkey: 4052659