The Godly aduertisement or good counsell of the famous orator Isocrates, intitled Parænesis to Demonicus [microform] : wherto is annexed Cato in olde Englysh meter
- Uniform Title:
- To Demonicus. English
- Additional Titles:
- Cato in olde Englysh meter
Godly advertisement or good counsell of the famous orator Isocrates, intitled Parænesis to Demonicus:.
Here begynneth the boke of Cato both in Latyn and Englyshe
Parænesis to Demonicus
- [Imprinted at London] : [In fletestreate, at the signe of the Rose Garland, by William Coplande], Anno Do. M.D. LVII. Mense Decemb. [1557; i.e. 1558]
- Physical Description:
- 96 unnumbered pages
- Additional Creators:
- Burgh, Benedict
Bury, John, 1535-1571
Cato, Marcus Porcius, 234 B.C.-149 B.C.
- Related Titles:
- Catonis disticha. English
- Appears at UMI microfilm reels 190 (Bodleian Library copy part 2 only), reel 313 (British Library copy part 2 only) and 468 (Bodleian Library copy).
In two parts, a translation by John Bury of Isocrates' "To Demonicus" and a translation by Benedict Burgh of the "Disticha de moribus", wrongly attributed to Marcus Porcius Cato; register is not continuous--STC.
Part 2 caption title reads: Here begynneth the boke of Cato both in Latyn and Englyshe.
Part 2 formerly STC 4855 and STC 4856.
Part 2 identified as STC 4855 on UMI microfilm reel 190 and as STC 4856 on reel 313.
Part 2 in verse.
Printer and publication date from part 2 colophon which concludes: "Finished the first day of Ianuary. Anno. M.D. LVIII".
Reproduction of the original in the Bodleian Library.
Signatures: a-b A-D.
Title from part 1. Part 1 dedication signed Iohn Bury.
ALSO AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Available electronically as part of Early English books online.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich. : UMI, 1943, 1947, 1951. 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. (Early English books, 1475-1640 ; 190:05, 313:3, 468:09).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.) 14276.
View MARC record | catkey: 4055961