Oh read ouer D. Iohn Bridges, for it is a worthy worke: or an epitome of the fyrste booke, of that right worshipfull volume, written against the puritanes, in the defence of the noble cleargie, by as worshipfull a prieste, Iohn Bridges, presbyter, priest or elder, doctor of diuillitie, and Deane of Sarum [microform] : Wherein the arguments of the puritans are wisely prevented, that when they come to answere M. Doctor, they must needes say something that hath bene spoken. Compiled for the behoofe and overthrow of the parsous [sic], fyckers, and currats, that have lernt their catechismes and are past grace: by the reverend and worthie Martin Marprelate gentleman, and dedicated to the confocationhouse. The Epitome is not yet published, but it shall be when the bishops are at conuenient leysure to view the same. In the meane time, let them be content with this learned epistle
- Marprelate, Martin, pseud
- Uniform Title:
- Oh read over D. John Bridges. Epistle
- Additional Titles:
- Epistle to the terrible priests of the Confocation house, Oh read over D. John Bridges, for it is a worthy worke, Oh read over D. John Bridges, for it is a worthy worke: or an epitome of the fyrste booke, of that right worshipfull volume, written against the puritanes, in the defence of the noble cleargie, by as worshipfull a prieste, John Bridges, Presbyter, priest or elder, doctor of divillitie, and Deane of Sarum, and Oh read over D. John Bridges. Epistle
- Printed oversea, in Europe [i.e. East Molesey, Surrey] : [By Robert Waldegrave], within two furlongs of a bounsing priest, at the cost and charges of M Marprelate, gentleman, [Oct. 1588]
- Physical Description:
- 2 unnumbered pages, 54 pages
- Additional Creators:
- Penry, John, 1559-1593 and Throckmorton, Job, 1545-1601
- A reply to: Bridges, John. A defence of the government established in the Church of Englande for ecclesiasticall matters.
Martin Marprelate has been identified with John Penry and, more probably, with Job Throckmorton.
Reproduction of the original in the British Library.
Running title reads: An epistle to the terrible priests of the Confocation house.
The epistle only; the epitome was published later the same year.
The imprint is false; actual imprint from STC.
ALSO AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Available electronically as part of Early English books online.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich. : UMI, 1966. 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. (Early English books, 1475-1640 ; 1073:11).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.) 17453.
View MARC record | catkey: 4057012