A collection of emblemes, ancient and moderne [microform] : quickened vvith metricall illustrations, both morall and divine: and disposed into lotteries, that instruction, and good counsell, may bee furthered by an honest and pleasant recreation. By George VVither. The first booke
- Wither, George, 1588-1667
- London : Printed by A[ugustine] M[athewes] for Robert Milbourne, and are to be sold at the Grayhound in Pauls Church-yard, MDCXXXV. 
- Physical Description:
- 20 unnumbered pages, 62 pages, 6 unnumbered pages, 63-124 pages, 6 unnumbered pages, 135-196 pages, 6 unnumbered pages, 209-270 pages, 10 unnumbered pages : illustrations (metal cuts, woodcut)
- Additional Creators:
- Marshall, William, active 1617-1650
Passe, Crispijn van de, approximately 1565-1637
- In verse.
One of five imprint variants of this edition.
Printer's name from STC.
Reproduction of the original in the British Library.
The emblems are printed from plates originally engraved by Crispijn van de Passe the elder for "Nucleus emblematorum" by Gabriel Rollenhagen (STC).
The first leaf bears "A preposition to this frontispiece".
The last leaf bears two woodcut dials each with a movable pointer fixed in the center.
The second, third, and fourth books each have a separate title page dated 1634; pagination and register are continuous.
With an additional title page, engraved, "Emblemes. Illustrated by Geo. Wither.", signed: VVill: Marshall· sculp:.
ALSO AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Available electronically as part of Early English books online.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich. : UMI, 1968. 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. (Early English books, 1475-1640 ; 1161:13).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Pollard, A.W. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, & Ireland and of English books printed abroad, 1475-1640 (2nd ed.) 25900b.
View MARC record | catkey: 4062514