Readings about the social animal / edited by Joshua Aronson and Elliot Aronson
- I. Introduction : reflections on the research process -- 1. Research in social psychology as a leap of faith / Elliot Aronson -- 2. On baseball and failure / Elliot Aronson -- II. Conformity and obedience -- 3. Opinions and social pressure / Solomon E. Asch -- 4. Behavioral study of obedience / Stanley Milgram -- 5. "From Jerusalem to Jericho" : a study of situational and dispositional variables in helping behavior / John M. Darley, C. Daniel Batson -- 6. A focus theory of normative conduct : recycling the concept of norms to reduce littering in public places / Robert B. Cialdini, Raymond R. Reno, Carl A. Kallgren -- 7. Making sense of the nonsensical : an analysis of Jonestown / Neal Osherow -- III. Mass communication, propaganda, and persuasion -- 8. Effects of varying the recommendations in a fear-arousing communication / James M. Dobbs Jr., Howard Leventhal -- 9. Attribution versus persuasion as a means for modifying behavior / Richard L. Miller, Philip Brickman, Diana Bolen -- 10. The impact of mass media violence on U.S. homicides / David P. Philips -- IV. Social cognition -- 11. Contract effects and judgments of physical attractiveness : when beauty becomes a social problem / Douglas T. Kenrick, Sara E. Gutierres -- 12. The effect of attitude on the recall of personal histories / Michael Ross, Cathy McFarland, Garth J.O. Fletcher -- 13. The peculiar longevity of things not so bad / Daniel T. Gilbert, Matthew D. Lieberman, Carey K. Morewedge, Timothy D. Wilson -- 14. Videotape and the attribution process : reversing actors' and observers' points of view / Michael D. Storms -- 15. Strangers to ourselves : discovering the adaptive unconscious / Timothy D. Wilson -- 16. Self-theories of intelligence / Carol S. Dweck -- and V. Self-justification -- 17. Dissonance, hypocrisy, and the self-concept / Elliot Aronson -- 18. Compliance without pressure : the foot-in-the-door technique / Jonathan L. Freedman, Scott C. Fraser -- 19. Reducing weight by reducing dissonance : the role of effort justification in inducing weight loss / Danny Axsom, Joel Cooper -- 20. Dishonest behavior as a function of differential levels of induces self-esteem / Elliot Aronson, David R. Mettee -- 21. Using cognitive dissonance to encourage water conservation / Chris Dickerson ... [et al.] -- 22. A self-affirmation intervention to reduce the racial achievement gap / Geoffrey L. Cohen, Julio Garcia, Nancy Apfel, Allison Master -- VI. Human aggression -- 23. The effects of observing violence / Leonard Berkowitz -- 24. Does venting anger feed or extinguish the flame? Catharsis, rumination, distraction, anger, and aggressive responding / Brad J. Bushman -- 25. Peacetime casualties : the effects of war on the violent behavior of noncombatants / Dane Archer, Rosemary Gartner -- 26. Deindividuation and anger-mediates interracial aggression : unmasking regressive racism / Ronald W. Rogers, Steven Prentice-Dunn -- 27. Predictors of naturalistic sexual aggression / Neil M. Malamuth -- VII. Prejudice -- 28. The nonverbal mediation of self-fulfilling prophecies in interracial interaction / Carl O. Word, Mark P. Zanna, Joel Cooper -- 29. The effect of stereotype threat on the standardized test performance of college students -- Joshua Aronson ... [et al.] -- 30. Experiments in group conflict / Muzafer Sherif -- 31. Jigsaw groups and the desegregated classroom : in pursuit of common goals / Elliot Aronson, Diana Bridgeman -- 32. Branch Rickey, Jackie Robinson, and the social psychology of affirmative action / Anthony R. Pratkanis, Marlene E. Turner -- 33. Prejudice as self-image maintenance : affirming the self through derogating others / Steven Fein, Steven J. Spencer -- VIII. Liking, loving and interpersonal sensitivity -- 34. "Playing hard to get" : understanding and elusive phenomenon / Elaine Walster (Hatfield) ... [et al.] -- 35. The search for a romantic partner : the effects of self-esteem and physical attractiveness on romantic behavior / Sara B. Kiesler, Roberta L. Baral -- 36. Social perception and interpersonal behavior : on the self-fulfilling nature of social stereotypes / Mark Snyder, Elizabeth Decker Tanke, Ellen Berscheid -- 37. Some evidence for heightened sexual attraction under conditions of high anxiety / Donald G. Dutton, Arthur P. Aron -- 38. Cognitive, interpersonal, and behavioral effects of social exclusion : how people respond to rejection / Roy F. Baumeister, Dianne M. Tice.
- 9781429206174 1429206179 and 1429206179 1429206179
- Description based on surrogate.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Action Note:
- committed to retain 20170930 20430101 HathiTrust https://www.hathitrust.org/shared_print_program
View MARC record | catkey: 4096787