The local economic impact of Wal-Mart / Michael J. Hicks
- Hicks, Michael J.
- Youngstown, N.Y. : Cambria Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xxxii, 337 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm
- pt. 1. The history and measurement of Wal-Mart. The chain store historically considered -- Measuring Wal-Mart -- The diffusion of Wal-Mart's entrance -- pt. 2. The commercial impacts. The labor market impacts of Wal-Mart -- The impact of Wal-Mart on the market for goods and services -- The impact of Wal-Mart on the aggregate economy -- pt. 3. The fiscal impacts of Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart and local tax revenues -- Wal-Mart and local expenditures -- Wal-Mart and antipoverty programs -- pt. 4. Social impacts of Wal-Mart. The poor, the philanthropist, and the mom-and-pop store -- The social aspects of labor market : Unions and participation -- Wal-Mart and the local environment : Ghost boxes and sprawl -- pt. 4. State and local public policy and Wal-Mart. State and local restrictions on Wal-Mart -- On loving and hating Wal-Mart : A summary and policy recommendations.
- 9781934043387 (alk. paper) and 1934043389 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -319) and indexes.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Scranton copy: Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment; 20089.
View MARC record | catkey: 4096948