Visualize Complex Processes with Microsoft Visio [electronic resource] : A Guide to Visually Creating, Communicating, and Collaborating Business Processes Efficiently / David J. Parker, Šenaj Lelić
- Parker, David J.
- Birmingham : Packt Publishing, Limited, 2023.
- 1st edition.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (314 pages)
- Additional Creators:
- Lelić, Šenaj
- Cover -- Title Page -- Copyright & Credits -- Contributors -- Table of Contents -- Preface -- Chapter 1: Choosing the Correct Business Process Diagram Type -- Technical requirements -- Setting the scope with context diagrams -- Starting a context diagram in Microsoft Teams -- Opening a Visio document in Microsoft Teams -- Determining who and what with a functional flow diagram -- Starting a functional flow diagram in Visio for Web -- Capturing interactions with a cross-functional diagram -- Starting and ending with rounded terminator shapes -- Defining process steps with rectangular shapes, Highlighting decisions with diamond shapes -- Labeling swimlanes for each actor -- Starting a cross-functional diagram in desktop Visio Plan 2 -- Starting a cross-functional diagram in Visio Plan 1 -- Saving a desktop Visio document to a Teams channel -- Defining the detail with a flowchart diagram -- Knowing when to use the flowchart shapes -- Using the Off-page (reference) shape -- Summary -- Chapter 2: Choosing the Best Visio Edition for Our Needs -- Technical requirements -- Understanding the different Microsoft Visio editions -- Using Visio documents anywhere, Comparing templates and features of Visio editions -- Getting to know the Visio user interface -- Understanding the desktop Visio user interface -- Understanding the Visio online editor user interface -- Understanding the Visio Reading View user interface -- Adding stencils to the workspace -- Searching for shapes -- Summary -- Chapter 3: Learning to Manually Create Process Flow Diagrams -- Technical requirements -- Setting the page size and orientation -- Adding basic flowchart shapes -- Using Quick Shapes and AutoConnect -- Aligning shapes with Smart Guides and Dynamic Grid, Relating shapes to each other -- Dragging the AutoConnect arrow -- Gluing connectors to a specific position -- Reversing the direction of flow -- Changing the routing style of connectors -- Changing the type of connectors -- Automatically changing the diagram layout -- Labeling shapes and relationships -- Resetting flowchart shape sizes -- Moving the connector label -- Working with swimlanes and separators -- Adding a swimlane to a cross-functional flowchart -- Moving and resizing swimlanes -- Adding a separator to a cross-functional flowchart -- Adding more detailed information to shapes, and Using ScreenTips to store a longer description -- Inserting shapes between existing ones -- Creating subprocesses -- Creating a new subprocesses page -- Linking to an existing subprocess page -- Creating a new subprocess page from selected shapes -- Validating the structure of flowchart diagrams -- Summary -- Chapter 4: Using Visio for Desktop with BPMN -- Technical requirements -- The basic idea of the BPMN approach -- The terminology of BPMN -- Getting started with BPMN in Visio -- Finding the BPMN template -- Working in the BPMN diagram environment -- Changes and formatting of all BPMN shapes
- Streamline your business by creating clear, concise process diagrams with Microsoft Visio, and share them securely for viewing, reviewing, and collaboration Purchase of the print or Kindle book includes a free PDF eBook Key Features Learn built-in diagram types or create custom ones to describe flow steps effectively Unlock the skills and techniques needed to efficiently and speedily capture and communicate complex flows Understand how to store securely, integrate with other apps, and import and export flow steps Book Description Every business has process flows, but not all of them are fully described to or verified for accuracy with each stakeholder. This not only presents a risk for business continuity but also removes the ability to make insightful improvements. To make these complex interactions easy to grasp, it's important to describe these processes visually using symbology that everybody understands. Different parts of these flows should be collaboratively developed and stored securely as commercial collateral. Visualize Complex Processes with Microsoft Visio helps you understand why it is crucial to use a common, systematic approach to document the steps needed to meet each business requirement. This book explores the various process flow templates available in each edition of Microsoft Visio, including BPMN. It also shows you how to use them effectively with the help of tips and techniques and examples to reduce the time required for creating them, as well as how you can improve their integration and presentation. By the end of this book, you'll have mastered the skills needed to create data-integrated business flowcharts with Microsoft Visio, learned how to effectively use these diagrams collaboratively, but securely, and understood how to integrate them with other M365 apps, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Power Automate. What you will learn Choose an appropriate flowchart diagram type to describe process steps Develop the skills to efficiently use Visio to draw process flowcharts Discover how to create process flows diagrams to meet the BPMN standard Find out how to synchronize Excel tables with Visio process flowcharts Store flowcharts that can also be used for collaboration securely Understand how to export flowcharts and data to other M365 apps Discover how Visio ShapeSheet functions can increase productivity Who this book is for If you're a manager, analyst, or designer of business processes, then this book will help you create professional process diagrams effectively and consistently to improve the accuracy of communication and facilitate impactful insights. This book will also be useful for beginners or power users who are seeking tips and techniques to capture process flows from context and customize diagrams to meet academic as well as corporate standards.
- Description based upon print version of record.
Accessing the variations through metadata
View MARC record | catkey: 41052397