The inhumanity of the Kings prison-keeper at Oxford. Or a true relation of the most transcendent cruelties, cheatings, cozenings, and base dishonest dealings of William Smith Provest [sic] Marshall General of the Kings Army, against the Parliament prisoners under his custody [microform] : As it was delivered at the Barre in the House of Commons, by one, who with many others, were sworne before the Lords assembled in Parliament, and were prisoners in Oxford six moneths, being further confirmed by Captain Wingate in the Commons House, he being Member of the said House, and some time prisoner in Oxford, the space of 9. moneths. Together, with the copy of a letter from a Gentleman of quality confirming the former particulars. Also the copy of a petition and articles exhibited to the King, his councell of warre against Smith. Likewise a letter to the Speaker, subscribed with 70. prisoners hands. Whereunto is added the unsufferable cruelties, exercised upon the Cirencester men, in their passage to Oxford, and at Oxford, in the castle and Bride-vvell, vvhen they were taken. Written by Edm. Chillenden. who was a prisoner there 6. moneths. Printed according to order
- Chillenden, Edmund, active 1656
- Additional Titles:
- True relation of the most transcendent cruelties, cheatings, cozenings, and base dishonest dealings of William Smith Provost Marshall General of the Kings Army, against the Parliament prisoners under his custody
- London : Printed by G.D. for John Bull, 1643.
- Physical Description:
- 2 unnumbered pages, 14, that is, 28 pages, 2 unnumbered pages
- Annotation on Thomason copy: "Aug: 4th"., P. 28 misnumbered 14. Variant: p. 28 correctly numbered., Reproduction of the original in the British Library., The last leaf bears "A postscript"., and ALSO AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Other Forms:
- Available electronically as part of Early English books online.
- Reproduction Note:
- Microfilm. Ann Arbor, Mich. : University Microfilms International, 1977. 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. (Thomason Tracts ; 11:E.63).
- Reviewed/Cited In:
- Madan, II, 1431., Thomason E.63., and Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700 (2nd ed., 1994) C3876.
View MARC record | catkey: 4130042