The hunchback of Notre Dame [videorecording] / Universal Pictures ; script, Perley Sheehan, Edward Lowe, Jr. ; director, Wallace Worsley
- Uniform Title:
- Hunchback of Notre Dame (Motion picture : 1923)
- Additional Titles:
- At head of title: Carl Laemmle presents Lon Chaney
- Chatsworth, CA : Distributed by Image Entertainment, 
- Ultimate ed.
- Physical Description:
- 1 videodisc (117 min.) : silent, color tinted ; 4 3/4 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Laemmle, Carl, 1867-1939
Sheehan, Perley Poore, 1875-1943
Lowe, Edward T. (Edward Thomas), 1890-1973
Worsley, Wallace, 1878-1944
Chaney, Lon, 1883-1930
Miller, Patsy Ruth, 1904-1995
Marshall, Tully, 1864-1943
Hugo, Victor, 1802-1885
Universal Pictures Company
Image Entertainment (Firm)
- Clopin bought Esmeralda from the gypsies when she was young. Dancing in the square at the festival, Esmeralda is spotted by Jehan, the evil brother of the good archdeacon Claude Frollo. When he sets Quasimodo out to kidnap Esmeralda, Phoebus, Captain of the Guards, rescues her and captures Quasimodo. Quasimodo is sentenced to be flogged, and the only one who will give him water while he is tied in the square is Esmeralda. After Clopin forces Esmeralda to leave Phoebus at the ball, she sends a note to Phoebus to meet her at Notre-Dame. In the garden, Phoebus is stabbed in the back by Jehan. Esmeralda is accused of stabbing Phoebus, convicted by the courts and sentenced to hang. Clopin, Phoebus and Quasimodo all try different ways to save Esmeralda.
- Audience Notes:
- Not rated.
- Title from container.
Based on the novel by Victor Hugo.
Originally released as a motion picture in 1923.
Special features: New symphonic score compiled by Donald Hunsberger, adapted and conducted by Robert Israel (recorded in Europe in digital stereo.); insert essay and optional audio essay through the film, both by Michael F. Blake, author of two books on Lon Chaney; facsimile reproduction of 20-page original souvenir program; gallery of original 3-D stills; extensive gallery 2-D stills, including production shots, scenes and advertising materials; excerpt from Alas and Alack, a 1913 Universal film in which Lon Chaney plays two roles (one of them a hunchback); behind-the-scenes footage of Lon Chaney out of makeup on the Hunchback set.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Photography, Robert S. Newhard ; editors, Sydney Singerman, Maurice Pivar, Edward Curtis ; art directors, E.E. Sheeley, S. Uliman ; music, Orchestral Score.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Lon Chaney, Patsy Ruth Miller, Norman Kerry, Ernest Torrance, Tully Marshall.
- Technical Details:
- DVD, region 1, full screen (1.33:1) presentation; Dolby Digital stereo. (music), mastered in High Definition, NTSC.
View MARC record | catkey: 4162187