Selling modernity : advertising in twentieth-century Germany / edited by Pamela E. Swett, S. Jonathan Wiesen, and Jonathan R. Zatlin
- Durham : Duke University Press, 2007.
- Physical Description:
- xx, 364 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Swett, Pamela E., 1970-
Wiesen, S. Jonathan
Zatlin, Jonathan R., 1963-
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Foreword / Victoria de Grazia -- Introduction / Pamela E. Swett, Jonathan S. Wisen, Jonathan R. Zatlin -- Marketing, modernity, and "the German people's soul" : advertising and its enemies in late imperial Germany, 1896-1914 / Kevin Repp -- Visions of prosperity : the Americanization of advertising in interwar Germany / Corey Ross -- Branding Germany : Hans Domizlaff's Markentechnik and its ideological impact / Holm Friebe -- "Planting a forest tall and straight like the German Volk" : visualizing the Volksgemeinschaft through advertising in German forestry journals, 1933-1945 / Michael Imort -- Selling the "racial community" : Kraft durch Freude and consumption in the Third Reich / Shelley Baranowski -- "Die erfrischende pause" : marketing Coca-Cola in Hitler's Germany / Jeff Schutts -- Lufthansa welcomes you : air transport and tourism in the Adenauer era / Guillaume de Syon -- "The history of morals in the Federal Republic" : advertising, PR, and the Beate Uhse myth / Elizabeth Heineman -- "Wowman! the world's most famous drug-dog" : advertising, the state, and the paradox of consumerism in the federal republic / Robert P. Stephens -- "True advertising means promoting a good thing through a good form" : advertising in the German democratic republic / Anne Kaminsky -- Promoting socialist cities and citizens : east Germany's national building program / Greg Castillo -- "Serve yourself!" : the history and theory of self-service in west and east Germany / Rainer Gries.
- 9780822340478 (cloth : alk. paper)
082234047X (cloth : alk. paper)
9780822340690 (pbk. : alk. paper)
0822340690 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -345) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4162780