Chronic illness in children and adolescents / Ronald T. Brown, Brian P. Daly, Annette U. Rickel
- Brown, Ronald T.
- Cambridge, MA ; Toronto : Hogrefe & Huber, [date of publication not identified]
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- viii, 86 pages ; 26 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Rickel, Annette U., 1941-
Daly, Brian P.
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Advances in psychotherapy--evidence-based practice ; v. 9
- Acknowledgments; 1 Description; 1.1 Terminology; 1.2 Definition; 1.3 Epidemiology (Incidence and Prevalence); 1.4 Course and Prognosis (Asthma [UNK] Cancer [UNK] Cystic Fibrosis [UNK] Diabetes Mellitus [UNK] Sickle Cell Disease); 1.5 Differential Diagnosis; 1.6 Comorbidities (Asthma [UNK] Cancer [UNK] Cystic Fibrosis [UNK] Diabetes Mellitus [UNK] Sickle Cell Disease); 1.7 Diagnostic Procedures and Documentation; 2 Theories and Models of the Disorder; 2.1 Risk Factors (Disease and Disability Parameters [UNK] Genetic Disorders [UNK] Intrauterine Growth Retardation, Prematurity, and Low Birth Weight [UNK] Teratogens [UNK] Disease Severity [UNK] Functional Independence [UNK] Psychosocial Stressors); 2.2 Resistance Factors (Intrapersonal Factors); 2.3 Social-Ecological Factors (Family functioning [UNK] Financial Resources [UNK] Stress Processing); 2.4 Applying the Models to Sickle Cell Disease; 3 Diagnosis and Treatment Indications; 3.1 Caregiver and Child Interviews; 3.2 Behavior; 3.3 Cognition; 3.4 Affect; 3.5 Adherence; 3.6 Stress and Coping; 3.7 Quality of Life; 3.8 Family Variables; 3.9 Summary; 4 Treatment; 4.1 Methods of Treatment (Behavior Therapy [UNK] Cognitive-Behavior Therapy [UNK] Behavioral and Cognitive-Behavioral Interventions -- Empirical Support and Clinical Trials [UNK] Psychological Adjustment [UNK] Psychosocial Factors, Coping, and Pain Management [UNK] Adherence [UNK] Family systems Interventions [UNK] Parent Training [UNK] Group Therapy [UNK] Peer Group Interventions [UNK] Peer Support Groups [UNK] Electronic Peer Support Groups [UNK] Self-Regulatory Skill Training, Self-Management, and Psychoeducational Strategies); 4.2 Mechanisms of Action; 4.3 Efficacy and Prognosis; 4.4 Variations and Combinations of Methods; 4.5 Problems in Carrying out the Treatment (Individual Barriers [UNK] Family Barriers [UNK] Provider Barriers [UNK] System and Setting-Based Barriers); 4.6 Multicultural Issues; 4.7 Summary; 5 Case Vignette; Further Reading; 7 References; 8 Appendix: Tools and Resources.
- "Management of chronic illness in children and adolescents often is a multifaceted challenge that requires the attention and expertise of individuals from a variety of disciplines that include psychology, psychiatry, social work, and medicine. This book provides readers with a practical overview of the definitions, characteristics, theories and models, diagnostic and treatment indications, and relevant aspects and methods of evidence-based psychosocial treatments. Although treatments and research for chronic conditions in general are reviewed, particular attention is directed at asthma, cancer, cystic fibrosis, diabetes mellitus, and sickle cell disease due to the high incidence of these conditions. Case vignettes and suggestions for further reading are provided."--Jacket.
- Chronic diseases in children
- Chronic diseases in adolescence
- Chronically ill children
- Chronic Disease—psychology
- Evidence-Based Medicine
- Maladies chroniques chez l'enfant
- Maladies chroniques chez l'adolescent
- Enfants malades chroniques
- enfant—maladie chronique—traitement médical
- adolescent—maladie—maladie chronique—traitement médical
- Chronische Krankheit
- Psychosoziale Belastung
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 70-84).
View MARC record | catkey: 4168531