The dismal science : how thinking like an economist undermines community / Stephen A. Marglin
- Marglin, Stephen A.
- Additional Titles:
- How thinking like an economist undermines community
- Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard University Press, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 359 pages ; 25 cm
- Economics, the market, and community -- What is community? and is it worth the cost? -- The cutting edge of modernity -- Individualism -- Some history -- From vice to virtue in a century -- How do we know when we do not know? -- Sources of the modern ideology of knowledge -- Taking experience seriously -- Welfare economics and the nation-state -- Why is enough never enough? -- The economics of tragic choices -- From imperialism to globalization, by way of development -- Appendix A: The limits of dissent -- Appendix B: The distributional roots of the enclosure movement.
- 9780674026544 (alk. paper)
0674026543 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 309-350) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4169011