Primary [electronic resource] : extra mile
- Additional Titles:
- Secondary : extra mile
- [London] : Teachers TV/UK Department of Education, 2010.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (28 min.).
- Additional Creators:
- Brook Lapping Productions
- Language Note:
- This edition in English.
- Primary schools are being encouraged to explore ways of improving outcomes for pupils from low income families under the Extra Mile initiative.Recent research shows that parental and community involvement, among other initiatives, can be key to pupil improvement in behaviour and attainment. At Westborough Primary and Nursery School in Southend lessons finish at 1.30 so pupils can participate in an outstanding range of free after school clubs to enrich the curriculum. The school has also pioneered personal learning passports which focus on assessing and improving the progress of pupils on free school meals. At Thongsley Fields Primary and Nursery parents from a deprived part of Huntingdon can attend a wide range of family learning classes while their children benefit from a lively free breakfast club. The school also provides nurture sessions for their most vulnerable pupils.
The Extra Mile project was launched to narrow the attainment gap between pupils on free school meals and other students. In 2008/9 pilots in around fifty secondary schools explored ways to improve the attainment and behaviour of students from low income families, and then published case studies based on good practice. This programme looks at the work taking place in Raynes Park High in Wimbledon which includes assertively mentoring some of their Year 11 pupils to ensure that they reach their full potential. The school last year also piloted Double Club, where a Wimbledon football coach ran a literary class plus football practice for Year 7s on free school meals. At Stopsley High in Luton peer mentors have been trained under the Extra Mile initiative to give pupils from low income families lessons on conflict resolution. Other free school meals pupils have taken part in a special drama group performing a play loosely based on their own life experiences.
- Title from resource description page (viewed Mar. 5, 2012).
- Other Forms:
- Previously released as DVD.
View MARC record | catkey: 41993664