Taking Southeast Asia to market : commodities, nature, and people in the neoliberal age / edited by Joseph Nevins and Nancy Lee Peluso
- Ithaca : Cornell University Press, 2008.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, 280 pages : illustrations, maps ; 24 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Nevins, Joseph, Peluso, Nancy Lee, and University of California, Berkeley. Center for Southeast Asia Studies
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Cornell paperbacks
- Introduction : commoditization in Southeast Asia / Joseph Nevins and Nancy Lee Peluso -- Contingent commodities : mobilizing labor in and beyond Southeast Asian forests / Anna Tsing -- What's new with the old? : scalar dialectics and the reorganization of Indonesia's timber industry / Paul K. Gellert -- Contesting "flexibility" : networks of place, gender, and class in Vietnamese workers' resistance / Angie Ngọc Trần -- Worshipping work : producing commodity producers in contemporary Indonesia / Daromir Rudnyckyj -- China and the production of forestlands in Lao PDR : a political ecology of transnational enclosure / Keith Barney -- Water power : machines, modernizers, and meta-commoditization on the Mekong River / David Biggs -- Contested commodifications : struggles over nature in a national park / Tania Murray Li -- Sovereignty in Burma after the entrepreneurial turn : mosaics of control, commodified spaces, and regulated violence in contemporary Burma / Ken MacLean -- Old markets, new commodities : aquarian capitalism in Indonesia / Dorian Fougères -- Production of people and nature, rice, and coffee : the Semendo people in South Sumatra and Lampung / Lesley Potter -- The message is the market : selling biotechnology and nation in Malaysia / Sandra Smeltzer -- New concepts, new natures? : revisiting commodity production in Southern Thailand / Peter Vandergeest -- Concluding comparisons : products and processes of commoditization in Southeast Asia / Joseph Nevins and Nancy Lee Peluso.
- Commercial products—Social aspects—Southeast Asia—Congresses
- Natural resources—Southeast Asia—Management—Congresses
- Neoliberalism—Southeast Asia—Congresses
- Human ecology—Southeast Asia—Congresses
- Globalization—Environmental aspects—Southeast Asia—Congresses
- Southeast Asia—Commerce—Social aspects—Congresses
- Southeast Asia—Commercial policy—Congresses
- 9780801446627 (cloth : alk. paper), 0801446627 (cloth : alk. paper), 9780801474330 (pbk. : alk. paper), and 0801474337 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Papers originally presented at a conference held in 2005 at the Center for Southeast Asia Studies, University of California, Berkeley.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 241-268) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4203860