Backcountry crucibles : the Lehigh Valley from settlement to steel / edited by Jean R. Soderlund and Catherine S. Parzynski
- Bethlehem [Pa.] : Lehigh University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 349 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Additional Creators:
- Soderlund, Jean R., 1947- and Parzynski, Catherine S.
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Studies in eighteenth-century America and the Atlantic world
- Immigrant kin and indentured servants : fuel for economic growth in colonial Pennsylvania / Marianne S. Wokeck -- Pennsylvania : "hell for preachers"? : religion and the German colonists / Michael G. Baylor -- Gender prescriptions in eighteenth-century Bethlehem / Beverly Prior Smaby -- Religion, expansion, and migration : the cultural background to Scottish and Irish settlement in the Lehigh Valley / Ned C. Landsman -- Domestic, dependent, nations : the colonial origins of a paradox / Gregory Evans Dowd -- Perfection in the mechanical arts : the development of Moravian industrial technology in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, 1741-1814 / Stephen H. Cutcliffe And Karen Z. Huetter -- Religious conflict and violence in German communities during the great awakening / Aaron Spencer Fogleman -- The wheels of commerce : market networks in the Lehigh and Musconetcong valleys, 1735-1800 / Michael V. Kennedy -- From print shop to Congress and back : Easton's Thomas J. Rogers and the rise of newspaper politics / Jeffrey L. Pasley -- "Perpetual motion, perpetual change a boundless ocean without a shore" : democracy in Pennsylvania and the consequences of the triumph of the people, 1800-1820 / Andrew Shankman -- Fine-tuning the forks : transformation of the Lehigh River / Augustine Nigro -- The improbable success of Bethlehem Steel / John K. Smith -- Bethlehem social elites, "the steel, " and the Saucon Valley Country Club / Roger D. Simon -- Gender and economic decline : the Pennsylvania anthracite region, 1920-1970 / Thomas Dublin and Walter Licht.
- Ethnology—Pennsylvania—Lehigh River Valley—History
- Ethnology—Pennsylvania—Bethlehem Region—History
- Lehigh River Valley (Pa.)—Social conditions
- Lehigh River Valley (Pa.)—Civilization—18th century
- Lehigh River Valley (Pa.)—Commerce—History
- Bethlehem Region (Pa.)—Civilization—18th century
- Bethlehem Region (Pa.)—Civilization—19th century
- Bethlehem Region (Pa.)—Social conditions
- Lehigh River Valley (Pa.)—Civilization—19th century
- Bethlehem Region (Pa.)—Commerce—History
- 9780934223805 (alk. paper) and 0934223807 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4204497