The polemics of possession in Spanish American narrative / Rolena Adorno
- Adorno, Rolena
- New Haven : Yale University Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- xix, 428 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm
Full Text available online
By special arrangement in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, patrons may access this resource online through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service.
- Overview : the polemics of possession in Spanish American narrative -- Felipe Guaman Poma de Ayala and the polemics of possession -- Fray Bartolomé de las Casas, polemicist and author -- Councilors warring at the royal court -- Historians of war and princely warriors -- The encomendero and his literary interlocutors -- The conquistador-chronicler and his literary authority -- The Amerindian, studied, interpreted, and imagined -- The narrative invention of Gonzalo the Warrior -- The narrative reinvention of the conqueror-captive -- From Guancane to Macondo : literary places and their predecessors -- Seeing ghosts: the longevity of "serpents in sandals."
- 9780300120202 (alk. paper) and 0300120206 (alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -413) and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 4206146